My Name Essay | Teen Ink

My Name Essay

October 7, 2021
By Crocodilekittencow BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Crocodilekittencow BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name is Paige. Though when I was younger few would call me that. It was always Paigers, Paigie, or Paigeiewagies. My mom to this day still calls me Paigers when she feels like bothering me. 


    It sounds so much like ‘page’—but it’s not. The amount of jokes I’ve heard is ridiculous. turning to a page in a book, then looking at me ,and saying  ”Hey Paige you're in this book.”


My name in greek means young helper. In English it means assistant. I personally don’t like either of those. so I don’t think that's the real meaning. 


      I will make a new meaning for the name Paige. I just don’t know what it is yet. Something that has a true meaning. Something that makes me happy when I look up my name.


   I was always told that Paige was the only name my parents could agree on. My mom wanted Asleigh and my dad could never decide. So they chose Paige.  


   I would’ve liked my grandma's name. Diana. I think it’s classic.  She carried the name well. My grandmother was 6ft and a hefty woman. She could kill you with a look. But for me I was her Paigiewagies. I could do nothering wrong in her eyes. 


   I want to grow up just like her. I want to be someone you can’t mess with—just like my grandma.  A strong independent woman even though she was married. 


      But I can’t change my bland name. The name that looks like the color white. Or feels like a crumpled piece of paper. The name that reminds me of being yelled at as a kid. Or when your mom can’t remember your name and says all the other kids' names before yours..  There is no reason to change my name. I’m used to it now. It would be too late to change my first name. 


The author's comments:

This essay shows how I feel about having the name Paige.