Gay Marriage in the U.S. | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage in the U.S. MAG

Across the country, a debate is taking place: Should gay marriage be allowed? I have a very simple answer: yes! The old definition of marriage no longer seems to apply in America, and has not for some time. To ban gay marriage is to openly proclaim that America, the land of the free, discriminates against people. In a country where more than 50 percent of marriages end in divorce, how can legislators say they are preserving the traditional definition when it only survives in less than half of American families? The truth is, they can't. Americans should not stand for such blatant deprivation of the pursuit of happiness. It is time to take a stand.

This may require you to step outside your moral comfort zone. I believe my opinion is just, no matter what my Cath-olic upbringing tells me I should believe. To allow our government to determine what sex must marry or can marry does not sit well with me.

The truth is simply that love and commitment are not under the control of our government. Government is there to make decisions which benefit the entire country, not just individual agendas. We need to take our morals out of secular decisions and make choices that give all a chance to be equal, free and protected by our country's laws.

Allowing gay marriage is fair to all involved. If we give homosexual couples the same rights as heterosexual couples, this does not mean our country is asking all the homophobic people to accept gays. Your beliefs are your own, and no law can change that, but depriving people of declaring their love legally should not, and cannot, be allowed.

Does America really want to suppress yet another group? Being fair is allowing our country to provide legal marriage rights to all couples, regardless of their sexual orientation. Again, we need to separate individual morals from decisions that affect all to make the right and fair decision.

There will be religious fundamentalists who proclaim homosexuality morally wrong. However, law is not something where morals should determine the outcome. Our laws are meant to be fair. The issue before us now is not to make the same mistake of past generations and believe that if an issue is ignored, it will disappear. Time and time again, the U.S has proven that thought does not work.

Make the right decision now and save future generations from fixing your mistakes. As they say, history should be learned from, not repeated. Save time, make the right decision now and allow all people to be happy and legally protected.

To put it simply, allowing gay marriage benefits all involved. It allows people of all races, genders and sexual preferences to make their own decisions involving marriage. It gives all the chance at happiness and the benefits marriage provides a couple. There is no downside to this proposal that cannot be argued as a benefit, or disproved.

Banning gay marriage is a dilemma for the U.S. but there is a very simple solution. Wake up, America, and realize that gay marriage must be allowed. The individual agendas and morals of our representatives cannot determine or deprive a person a chance at happiness. Make the right decision.

ssslllwww said...
we live in a secular society and should not be basing decisions on other people's beleif systems. If you don't support gay marriage, then don't marry a gay person, but don't go around forcing your religious beliefs on others - we have freedom of religioun our ancestors died to protect that freedom

DanceCrazed said...
No! She has morrals and wants justice for all human beings all over america

Z_Wendland BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
When you get married, you vow in the name of god. "death til' us part." Yet divorce is legal and very popular... Huh...? Sound fair to you?

Sythan BRONZE said...
Sythan BRONZE, Livermore, California

"Do not fear to blister if you live a life in flame"

The Bible is NOT a legal document recognized by the United States Government.

Learn your own morality.

Conno_Rumsted PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"You understand...It is too far. I cannot take this body along with me. It is too heavy. Left behind, it will only be an old cast-off shell. There is nothing sad about an old shell"

100% agree!

there is no reason why america shouldnt allow gay marriage!

i wrote an essay on this topic too, it is something that i feel very strongly about

and besides, it may be a new and scary idea to some, but then again, wasnt allowing women to vote and granting african americans equal rights also new and scary to some? see how well that has turned out for us?

COME ON AMERICA! dont be so narrow minded and barbaric!

BookWorm579 PLATINUM, Elk Grove, California

"à cœur vaillant rien d’impossible [nothing is impossible to a willing heart]" -French Proverb

I totally agree as well. The least gay citizens deserve is a marriage by the state. Religious institutions can decide whou they will and will not marry. That's their right to freely express their beliefs, but for the sake of equality, government should recognize no difference between gay and straight couples.

mnn said...
I completely and utterly agree.

jake said...
I say no because not only does it go against everything i have been told through my life but the bible also says its wrong!

Jake said...
NO!!!You are crazy!!!