The House on Mango Street | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street

By YGarcia11 BRONZE, Hesperia, California
YGarcia11 BRONZE, Hesperia, California

The novel “ The House on Mango Street “, is by Sandra Cisneros. I think people should read this novel because it is and amazing story and because while you are reading it you can imagine how everything is happening in the story. 

This is a story of a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become in the future. One day her family moved to a house, but she was ashamed of it. The House on Mango street was an improvement for family but Esperanza wanted it to be better.

This novel is told in first-person point of view. When Esperanza moved to the house on mango street , she thought it was small in a poor neighborhood. Self-Defense would be the theme of this novel because Esperanza was struggling with defending herself from people that lived around.

I liked reading the book because it telling how a 12 year old girl disliked where she lived and people from the neighborhood to where she became friend with. So, I did like reading “ The House on Mango Street.“ Many characters from the story were really different from Esperanza because of their actions.