Icon | Teen Ink

Icon

Around the time the radio was invented, people began to realize the ways of simultaneous and more effective communication among each other. Celebrities, political
figures, and other icons began to emerge because of this technological advance in the 1920’s. However, the varied opinions shared by these icons by this advance in technology create mass distortion as it contributes to the massive democratic view that
our nation portrays itself.

The first amendment to the constitution of the United States clearly states the right to a freedom of speech, a freedom that contributes to the democratic view. The democratic view is a combination of opinions shared by anyone, at any place, and could be produced almost any time. The view can cause people to become stereotyped, such as “blonde jokes,” or can be used to persuade others or for demeaning efforts.

The info-seekers of this democratic view are often considered weak-minded. The opinion of one can soon become the opinion of many others as those people who are weak-minded seem to imitate their surroundings. Most opinions are not worthwhile because they can shape the way people think. Therefore, Democracy is destroyed because
a view of one thing can narrow to one “icon.”

In the end, most opinions shouldn’t be one’s final decision in making choices
such as electing presidents or immigrating to a new area. However, facts should be because facts are always true, opinions are often varied. They way people view things
shouldn’t come from a famous movie star, or a television news broadcaster. It should come from the buried facts that lie within the texts, rather than a popular icon or peer group.

Mama Cat said...
I love reading thoughtful, articulate writing from teenagers. You also exhibit wisdom which is a rare commodity these days. Keep writing! You are bound to make a much needed impact on the world.

Marcia said...
Awesome article. Very thoughtful and insightful. I totally agree and am very encouraged about the future of journalism if there are more young writers like you. Can’t wait to read your next article!