Hideaway | Teen Ink

Hideaway

October 29, 2018
By poetrymaker0118 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
poetrymaker0118 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I drive my little two-door car down the southern coast of Florida. All of my windows are rolled down letting the warm air in. I blast the stereo and sing every word to all the songs. I find myself taking different roads going through little towns that I’ve never been to. I see a cute, small sandy hideaway beach. I hop out of my car,  grab my beach bag and start walking over.


I hear many things as I lay, but the sounds of nature overpower them. I avert my attention to birds and take in the sweet sounds of their music. The leaves of palm trees clash in the wind and the breeze whistles softly in my ears as it passes by, like a whisper from the clouds. I hear the water rippling against the shore and the footsteps of people walking along the boardwalk nearby. I wonder how often any of them pause to appreciate the subtle natural beauty surrounding us in the world and consider how seriously diminished our lives would be if all of it were to someday disappear. I take my phone out to capture little moments in time. I take a big breath of the sweet, salty air.


The warm sun kisses my skin like the warmth of a fire on a cold winter's day. My heart-shaped sunglasses resting on the bridge of my nose, protecting my eyes from the piercing sun. I look at the horizon line where the sky meets the ocean's edge, the birds flying high. I walk down the boardwalk and onto the sand, I stop when I feel my feet sink into the sand, I smile, and close my eyes and take a deep breath. I can smell the sunscreen and saltwater as the wind wisps past my face. I can feel the grains of sand between my toes with every step I take. I get closer to the ocean I can feel the sand getting softer than the water rushes the shore and then back into the sea. The water is cool, calm and cold. I walk until the water is up to my waist and I feel like I'm the only one there. I could stay here forever.


Endless little ripples in the water go on for miles, the sun warms my skin feeling, All is calm on this sandy shore. The sun starts to dip down and meet with the crisp ocean blue water. It shines across creating a reflection of beauty. Purples, pinks, and oranges blend together making a God's painting in the sky. The breeze picks up a bit making a warm, balmy comfort feeling.