My family, my sisters, my TEAM | Teen Ink

My family, my sisters, my TEAM

December 18, 2008
By Sarah McManus SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
Sarah McManus SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I live to love something. My friends, family, and my sport, the sport, rugby. For half my life I’ve watched these boys that turn into monsters on the field and back to gentlemen when I pass out snacks after a game. It was my time to shine. After seven years I was stepping onto that pitch with the knowledge I gained from only my brothers and coaches. This was it. My team behind me. I’m leading the team. Forget the fact that we were wet, we were cold, and after about a minute we could barely feel anything. No this was our game. We weren’t about to let a little weather, change the fact that we wanted to win. After tackling into the flooded grass, and feeling like we could go swim in our cleats we still came to win. With every last girl behind me we walked off that field with the pride in knowing that we could do anything. We just had to want it. I could see it in their eyes they wanted to quit, they wanted to give up. But I was not about to let weeks of practice and conditioning go to waste. I yelled at them at the top of my lungs “Forget the weather! You have to want this! We did not practice this hard just to come and give up! Everyone needs to be putting 110% into this game!” and then I saw it. A change that only your teammate could examine. Each girl heard what I said and then put in the effort and to end the game? We won.


I know that even though I’m one of the youngest players on the team, I have earned my respect. The girls I play with never give up and I know that they are always behind be yelling, “WITH YOU SARAH! ON YOUR RIGHT! WITH YOU!” I know that my girls are always there for me. On and off the pitch. So you are asking yourself ‘What is the point of this?’ right? Well my point is that no matter what I do I know that I have something to love forever. No it’s not a human, but I find it quite comforting anyways. Rugby is my sport and I wouldn’t give it up for anything. Without this sport I would never have found my family, my sisters, and my team. We have a bond with each other that no other team will really ever have.

The author's comments:
this is a true story..our first game it was snowing and raining at the same time..HEAVILY!