It’s The Thought That Counts, But We Want Attention! | Teen Ink

It’s The Thought That Counts, But We Want Attention!

Growing up everyone always hears the saying, “it’s the thought that counts.” This adage is used to help people understand that its not about the money or whether the present you got for your birthday is “wearable,” but that the most important thing is that someone actually cared enough to do something for you. Well I must say that at my high school baseball games the thought shouldn’t just count.

During baseball season the boys practice everyday and play each team in their districts twice. That means that all the girlfriends should show up to all the home games and to at least half of the away games. Now you have to understand that baseball games will only get postponed if there is thunder and lightning. This means that myself and the other faithful girlfriends show up to all possible baseball games whether it is pouring rain, extremely windy, or freezing cold. Sometimes our athletes just don’t give us enough credit.

We sit there for more then two and a half hours waiting to tell our boyfriends good game and that they played well, but of course this doesn’t always happen. Baseball girlfriends wait patiently for their athletes to leave but sometimes the game falters to the point that they just walk right past us. The fact that you sat there in the freezing cold watching them play for four hours doesn’t cross their mind, putting you in a bad mood for the rest of the night. You would think that they would say thanks for coming I’ll talk to you later, but no, they walk right on by without a glance in your direction, frustrated with how they played.

Now don’t get me wrong, we like going to their games and being there personal cheerleaders but it’s true that we should get a little attention instead of being ignored. So all I’m trying to ask of every baseball player who has a girlfriend is to show the girl you care that she’s there and encouraging you do to well. We want to feel appreciated for our numerous hours spent soaking wet from the freezing rain and know that it’s not just the thought that counts, but the effort and energy we put in to support our boys.