Shani Davis Wins the Gold and Ends His Feud | Teen Ink

Shani Davis Wins the Gold and Ends His Feud

By JKars32195 BRONZE, New York, Ny, New York
JKars32195 BRONZE, New York, Ny, New York

VANCOUVER- Shani Davis, speed skater kept his dream alive in the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. Davis won his second gold medal in a row in the 1,000m speed skating competition. In the 2006 Olympics in Torino, Davis won the gold in this event, too. Although these wins for the US were seen as heroic, it was at the cost of Shani Davis’s relationship with US speed skater Chad Hedrick.

Although this may seem a fairytale, Davis had to do many things to get to this point, even deal with having a public feud with fellow US speed skater Chad Hedrick. Davis and Hedrick were known to have had a feud ever since the 2006 Torino Olympics. As reported from the Associated Press, Hedrick’s feud with Davis became public when Hedrick didn’t shake hands with Davis after he won the gold in 1,000m race in Torino. Davis said to the Associated Press, "Sure, Chad and I are fighting for the same thing. But it would have been kind of nice after I won the 1,000 if he would have been a good teammate and shook my hand." Now, for the second Olympic Games in a row, Davis stayed on top of the 1,000m event. Davis came in 1st for the 1,000m race, with a time of 1min 08.94secs and Hedrick came in 3rd with a time of 1:09.32. But four years later, at the Vancouver games, the two athletes had a different approach on their “feud”. As reported on the Vacouver2010.com website, Hedrick said, "We put everything Shani and I had in 2006 behind us, all that stuff was done before. That's old news. I hope people will look at us in a different light, as good athletes not who wants to pick a fight with who." As reported in The Washington Post, Davis and Hedrick both represented America greatly, showing sportsmanship, good humor and positive energy. "I have a different outlook on things right now,” Hedrick said in an interview from The Washington Post, and Davis said "I feel like things are changing for the better, and I'm just really excited and happy to be in the position I am now."

hi123 said...
you're an amazing writer! hope to see more articles like this soon! famous writer in the making right here.

IC9032456 said...
this article was very well researched. i really enjoyed reading it

this really was very good writing. i hope to see more articles from you on teenink!

mspind12 said...
this article is amazing your such a good writer! keep it up!