Coach to Athlete | Teen Ink

Coach to Athlete

By jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Put in your best effort every day; don’t let yourself slack off. Push yourself to be the runner that you can be, don’t be the girl with all the potential but never reach it. On Mondays you will run intervals; don’t be last; these should be fast paced; don’t let the girls in front get to far away from you. Don’t let everyone see you fall behind; stay right behind them. Are you going to be the girl with all the potential to be great, but the one that can’t get tough enough to achieve greatness? But I am tough; I stay with the girls and sometimes lead. On Tuesdays and Thursdays you will have run your long run, maybe seven miles, run it crisp; don’t let yourself fall behind; stay with the group; don’t take the run at an easy pace; remember that each day is a day to improve. Stay fit; eat the right food; don’t drink pop and eat foods that will make you fat; drink a lot of water; you have to stay in shape if you want to be a top runner; are you going to be the girl with all the potential to be great, but the one that can’t get tough enough to achieve greatness? Each night you need to go home and stretch; stretch everything, hold each stretch for a minimum of twenty seconds; then ice. It is extremely important that you ice any aches or pains, they are probably nothing, so don’t complain about anything; they will go away. I do eat right, I am always drinking water, and I do ice, but these pains don’t go away, I am doing my best. On Wednesday you will have another interval workout, it will be different than Monday; so you have to mentally prepare yourself; these runs are supposed to hurt; it’s not supposed to be fun; you’re supposed to push your body to limits that it is not used to, you are going to feel pain; but that pain is weakness leaving your body. Are you going to be the girl with all the potential to be great, but the one that can’t get tough enough to achieve greatness? You need to learn that if you’re going to be good you have to sacrifice; you have to give up your social life. Friday nights you can’t go to a football game and stand and cheer for the team; you need to get your rest because of the race on Saturday. Boys; you can’t let yourself be distracted by them; boyfriends are just that, a distraction, you need to be focused on the on your race; worry about how you’re going to run the race, how you’re going to get out at the beginning; your head has to be in the race. Are you going to be the one with all the potential, but be distracted because of a boyfriend? But I do have a boyfriend, and I don’t let him distract me, he knows that I need to focus on running, I do make sacrifices, I never see my friends. On race days you need to warm up, you need to preview the course, you need to focus on what lays ahead, you need to stretch, keep your body warm, wear the warm up till you step up to that line. If you need to be stretched or have a particular spot massaged with Bengay, get it done; you need to get your spikes on when its half hour before a race, you need to do six strides. Get your legs loosened up and ready to run; you have to be willing to give this race everything you have in you. You owe that to yourself and your teammates; your running for your school, your running for each other, and your running for yourself, don’t let them down. Are you going to be the girl with all the potential to be great, but the one that can’t get tough enough to achieve greatness? You have to get tough, you have be willing to give everything you have to this team, so you have to get tough. If there is one thing you should remember it is that you can improve every day, you have to believe in yourself because everyone else believes in you; you just have to prove it to yourself. Are you going to be the girl with all the potential to be great, but the one that can’t get tough enough to achieve greatness? Step up. I will be great, I can be great and I will reach my potential. Step up and be great, get tough and run with everything you have.

inspired by the poem Girl by Jamaica Kincaid