May Day Flowers | Teen Ink

May Day Flowers

January 28, 2015
By The_DoctorDonna PLATINUM, Anytown, Iowa
The_DoctorDonna PLATINUM, Anytown, Iowa
44 articles 2 photos 105 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says 'I'm Possible'"


Hide the flowers. Ring the doorbell. Run away before you get caught.


Simple instructions, really. It’s kind of hard to get them wrong. Unless, of course, you’re trying to get caught. See, there’s another (unwritten) rule. If you get caught in the act, you owe the catch-ee a kiss. So, you get those people who purposely get caught. They’re the hopeless romantics. Anyway, the general fun is to hide and watch their faces as they see the flowers. It’s really nice to make someone’s day anonymously. I like to give out may baskets every year. I never get any in return, but this doesn’t bother me. Mostly because I don’t want to kiss anyone, and I’m pretty sure that nobody wants to kiss me, either. But that doesn’t really matter. I just like watching people smile, and it’s fun to see the wonderment cross their faces as they attempt to discover who gave them the flowers. The sad thing is, I’m pretty sure that the May Day tradition is dying out. When I mention it, most people look at me like I’m crazy. But I don’t care. Even if I’m the last person in the world to do it, I am going to carry on the tradition. Because even if I can bring an extra smile to one person, it’s all worthwhile.
~~~