Overcoming My Obstacle | Teen Ink

Overcoming My Obstacle

December 5, 2014
By Zeke James BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
Zeke James BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Vince Lombardi once said “The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have”. In the summer of 2012 I had to have a knee arthroscopy. The reason why I had to have one is because my knee would lock up for long periods of time.  Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate I to overcame my obstacle of having knee surgery.
Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate. When Helen was a baby, she got sick and became blind and deaf. So the Keller’s hired Annie Sullivan to teach Helen. Annie was able to teach Helen trust, obedience and language. To overcome her obstacle.
Like Helen Keller I also had to overcome an obstacle. My obstacle was that i had to have a knee arthroscopy and had to quit playing baseball for the year. I overcame my obstacle by wanting my knee to not lock up to where i could not move it for long periods of time. My knee surgery went well, but I had to be on crutches and have my knee wrapped up for a couple weeks. Overall after finishing physical therapy I was able to play baseball again.
Although mine and Helen Keller’s obstacles were different we have a few similarities. Just like Helen had to cope with not being able to communicate, I had to cope with not being to play sports for awhile. Another similarity is that Helen needed to learn how to be obedient which was new to her. What was new to me was that I could not run around and do things that I wanted to do. To conclude, that mine and Helen’s obstacles may have been different we did have to learn new things and overcome our obstacles.
Helen Keller had the obstacle of not being able to communicate, but she had to overcome that. Just like I had to overcome knee surgery and not being able to run around, something i learned from Helen’s experience is  that she had it harder than I did because she could not even express herself for the longest time. One thing I learned from my experience is that some things are not as bad as they seem they are. In the lasting words of Helen Keller “ Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye”.