Becoming Discontent Can Be a Good Thing | Teen Ink

Becoming Discontent Can Be a Good Thing

By trissymiller BRONZE, Paducah, Kentucky
trissymiller BRONZE, Paducah, Kentucky

I believe that becoming discontent with your situation can inspire you to take steps you never thought possible.

You can become discontent with things ranging from minute to substantial: your image, your weight, your job, your house, your friends, your marriage, your outlook on life. As the ball dropped, ringing in the New Year, millions of people decided their lives were not up to par. The out of shape flocked to gyms, people smiled at strangers, and others put 110% into their jobs in hopes of a promotion. They demonstrated that no one is a slave to discontent, and it can only change you for the better. Nothing in this world is too grand to be improved upon, so let your discontent fuel your desire for greatness. Let your discontent transform you into a better, happier version of yourself.

Growing up, I was taught to take things at face value. “God is real… Abortion is wrong… Being gay is wrong.” As a child, I supported these statements whole-heartedly because my parents are good people, and if they are good people, they must believe what is right. As I grew older, I began to question these beliefs that were imprinted on my brain in black and red ink. Why do I believe this? I found myself with a paper of faulty reasons, so I slowly began whiting out the ink. Through removing what I’d been taught, I began to find myself. Now, I’m not saying if I believe this, that, or somewhere in between because that is irrelevant. The point is that through becoming discontented with my indoctrinated beliefs, I found what I not only believe, but beliefs about which I am passionate. I could speak about them for days on end, and I will not sway. My beliefs sprouted from the fertile soil of discontent and are rooted in the field of the individual.

I believe that becoming discontented with your situation can inspire you to take steps you never thought possible. So, put your best foot forward and walk down the path of self improvement. Jog for 30 minutes, laugh more, argue less, take more bubble baths, find yourself because there is nothing more powerful than the ability to shape your own future.

*Ideas for the I Believe essays were taken from This I Believe, The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women, published in association with NPR.*