Falling in Love with Books | Teen Ink

Falling in Love with Books

By Marmmy GOLD, Park City, Utah
Marmmy GOLD, Park City, Utah

"Disease may weaken the body, and madness may weaken the mind, but nothing destroys the spirit like the lost of truelove."

~Venom by Fiona Paul

You couldn’t tear me away from my book with 100 pounds of dynamite. However, that didn’t use to be the case. When I was little, I wouldn’t read a book for more than a few pages at a time. I’ve never had a hard time sitting still, or concentrating on one thing for a long period of time, I’ve always been great at those things. I just couldn’t get into books. It wasn’t just those silly, simple “a fat cat sat on the mat, the end” type books I wasn’t a fan of, it was every book. Even in forth and fifth grade I just wasn’t interested in books. I tried and tried to love books, just like everyone else I knew, I just couldn’t.

Then, one summer my opinion of books changed. It was July 2011, and I was on my way to California. On the 25th my grandma was turning 75, and our whole family was throwing a big party in San Fransico. My mom and I were taking the train down. Yes, there was occasionally some pretty scenery, but I wasn’t going to stare out a window for 18 hours. So I grabbed my 240 page book, Magic Under Glass, that I had been trying to read for 5 months, opened it up to chapter 3, and started reading.

That was that, by chapter 4 I was mesmerized. I’ve never been a very fast reader, but it seemed like I sped through that book. The remaining hours on the train seemed like minutes. When I finally had to put the book down I was very disappointed.

That week I was very busy, but I tried to squeeze a word in every now and then. Every time I did, I was transported into another world.

One day, I was suppose to meet the rest of my family in the hotel lobby, but I couldn’t pull myself away from that world. So I made a compromise. I navigated the hotel with my head in a book. I literally crashed into the wall twice, and I almost trampled into a maid cart. When I finally got down to the lobby I was in the middle of the most exiting part. My mom told me to look up. So I briefly glanced up, saw a limo with my uncle’s face poking out the window, then I went back to Magic Under Glass. Once I finished the chapter, full recognition set in, I was going sight seeing in a limo. I had a fun time, but I was itching to get back to my book. Less then a week later, I stayed up until 3 in the morning finishing another book.

Ever since then I have been completely smitten with books. Even when I occasionally come across a book that doesn’t light that same spark in me, I don’t give up on books. The next one I read reminds me how much I love books. They’re much more than just stories, or words on a page. They’re the love of my life, and I’m never letting go.