The Assembly | Teen Ink

The Assembly

By Marlen Escobar BRONZE, Walker, Michigan
Marlen Escobar BRONZE, Walker, Michigan

Back at my old school, my best friend stood up for our friend named Jack. It was during an assembly, when we were all sitting in our own grade, and each in their class on the bleachers all in their own row. We were all getting ready for the person to come out and show us what he had went there for. He was there to introduce us the toys we would win from raising up money for the fundraisers. But the problem at the assembly though was that this girl, Kris, was making fun of him because of his race. Jack was Asian, and his eyes were squinted, and Kris would start calling him names. She would also make jokes about his eyes and how they formed. I really couldn’t do anything about it because I knew I was going to get in trouble if I did. But I also felt bad for him because he did nothing to deserve it. I just couldn’t believe what I was hearing through my ears; all those mean, judgemental names. It was all really sad, to even be there watching what was happening.
“How many fingers am I holding up? Oh wait, you can’t see!” Were one of her jokes she would keep repeating to him,
“Do you need glasses, or do you just need bigger eyes?!” But my friend could just not hold it in.
Veronica, my best friend, heard what was going on with Jack, and would get more mad by the second. She leaned over to him and asked not trying to sound mad, “Are you okay?”
“Kind of,” he said with a shaky voice.
“Does she keep bothering you?” she asked.
“Well, I told her to stop, but she bothers me anyways.” Jack answered.
“Are you going to do anything about it?” was Veronica’s last question.
He looked down and said, “I can’t.”
So Veronica stood up, and went over to Kris. I can tell you, she did not look happy at all. She stomped her foot on the floor, had her hands on her hips, and was leaning a lot towards her, she looked ready to start yelling.
“Why are you bothering Jack?” Veronica shouted loud.
“I’m not bothering him!” Kris said sounding scared.
“He told me that you keep making fun of him and calling him names, and it’s not funny!” Veronica replied.
“I was just playing around! It’s not your business either if I was, or wasn’t!” Kris yelled back to her.
“Well, you don’t play around with that kind of thing,” Veronica continued, “and it kind of is my business now because he’s my friend, and you can't be picking on him just because you feel like it!” she ended.
They continued to argue about the same subject, and the same exact things like “nuh-uh,” and “yeah-huh”.

So then Veronica got tired of it, and told her if she wasn’t going to knock-it-off, she was going to do something. But did Kris listen to her? Not really. Kris continued on with her mean jokes, and Veronica got up and started saying bad words to her. She would just say that she shouldn't be making fun of him because he never did anything to her.
Also, if someone said things to her, she probably wouldn’t like it; and it doesn’t make sense why she’s doing things like that to innocent people.
It actually really looked like Kris regretted all the things she said. She would just keep saying “sorry” after everything Veronica would keep saying.
Then some teachers came to settle things down, and asked what went wrong. Kris must have felt pretty embarrassed because everyone was staring at her, laughing, saying mean things about her, and how she was bullying someone she didn’t even talk to. I felt kind of bad because I think I even saw her eyes watering, and a tear, or two coming down her pink-ish cold cheek.

But you know what the good thing was? Kris got suspended for bullying, and disrupting an assembly. She also had to give an apology to Jack for being really mean. The vice principal said she couldn’t be bullying anybody else. But Veronica just got a talk with the vice principal to clear things out, and a lunch detention for actually doing it during an assembly. Either way, I was pretty glad Veronica stood up for Jack because it was not even fair to him, since he never did anything to Kris in the first place; and he was an innocent seventh grader who did nothing wrong. Later that day, a lot of people were still talking about what had just happened. The other half, were just surprised about what the person did at the assembly.