Teenage Girl Syndrome | Teen Ink

Teenage Girl Syndrome

September 22, 2011
By solinagal PLATINUM, Chamblee, Georgia
solinagal PLATINUM, Chamblee, Georgia
20 articles 2 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Set your goals high, and when you accomplish them, set more."


Why is it that one day I can look and the mirror and feel beautiful, but the next I am staring at myself, only noticing my pimples, washed out eyes, and unfit stomach?
Why am I lying on my bed in the morning surrounded by a mountain of clothes that fit yesterday? Why do I feel so ugly?
It isn't just me. Any teenage girl reading this can relate. We've all had our days where we just feel ugly, fat, and useless. And the worst part isn't the feeling itself, but that there is nothing we can do about it. No matter how many times I look at myself and say, "I am beautiful," it's not going to work. I am not going to instantly feel beautiful just because I say so. I do not feel beautiful. I will only feel more down because I don't believe the own words coming out of my own mouth.
It's really an epidemic. The feelings are everywhere, everyday, and I can't seem to escape them. Why can't I be as skinny as her? Why can't I have a face that beautiful? I see these celebrities with their perfect hair and their perfect bodies and their perfect clothes and their perfect lives. Everything is perfect. Why can't I be like that too?
This disease, this thinking, is infecting every single teenage girl in the world. There is no cure, and it's mutating into forms that nobody knows how to control. Not our teachers, not our mothers, not even our own friends. We are all alone, drowning in our own thoughts. We think that nobody feels the same way, but the truth is we all feel the same way, but nobody knows it.
But we do the next best thing, and just
wait
it
out.


The author's comments:
You are beautiful.