Mind Rat | Teen Ink

Mind Rat

By BluBliss GOLD, New York, New York
BluBliss GOLD, New York, New York

Bella's love for Edward was like, "Omg. He's hot. He's mine because he sparkles. Now I'll brood the wholle book while I'm with him."

You know what? That little rat is coming back again. That little rat that scurries around, playing over your adrenaline, nibbling at your bravery. It's fear. It's coming in from all sides, and epidemic. And the world around you is helping it eat you alive.
Just today, I was transfixed by the news, another reality pasted on an electronic black square, messing with my equilibrium. Mr. News Reporter rambled on about a new artificial drug. Yeah, we all need artificial drugs. We all need something to make our lives even more horrid. Even more frightening. Even BETTER, don't you think? Yeah.
There are already murders and suicides that I expected to see in Stephen King's Cell. That poor man... I felt the tingle of his blade as it dug into the flesh of his neck, meeting the wet, red insides, the inflammation tissue that wondered, "Why me?" And there's another family without a son.
"Organic" drugs are enough. My stepfather smokes, first thing he does when he meets the world after a black sleep every morning. I can't lose another father. I lost the first one to a man who was 13. I can't lose another one to lung cancer.
These new drugs, legal for 12 year old to buy, stocked along the Jersey Shore, as Mr. News Reporter said, feed that rat I told you about. That rat that attempts to escape the rushing fear of its own self. The rat that kids itself. Yes, I need this. It makes me feel better. Yet, why do I feel bad to begin with? This takes the work and pain out of dealing with whatever makes me feel like I'm being boiled alive.
I just saw my stepfather come back in from the porch. I can almost feel the tar sticking to his lungs. I can see myself staring at the ceiling, the shadows stirring under the headlights of cars in the midnight, as I remember how two fathers abandoned me.
The most anybody who reads this can do, is what I want you to do. I've drawn skulls and crossbones on my step dad's cigarette packs. So do that. If you're on the gooey path Death's paved for anyone in pain, a lonely soul with a stick in their mouth, then realize that it's all in the brain. And you'll feel a lot better alive than dead, if you just try to be free.
It'll take a while. Just as me. Five years is a long time to struggle with my losses. But it's worth the Heaven and Earth to break free from it. And a cigarette is worth four dollars.

.Izzy. BRONZE said...
.Izzy. BRONZE, Broadview Heights, Ohio
Wow. I can tell you feel strongly about this, which makes it even more powerful. Good job!

milforce SILVER, Bloomington, Illinois

"Those who have the ability to act, have the responsibility to act."

This is really good and very well written. You're very persuasive and I honestly think this could change peoples' opinions and in turn, their lives. Awesome job

LaceeJade GOLD said...
LaceeJade GOLD, Bucyrus, Ohio

♥ I've made mistakes in my life. i've let people take advantage of me, and i accepted way less than i deserve. But, i've learned from my bad choices, and even though there are some things i can never get back and people who will never be sorry. i'll know better next time and i wont settle for anything less than i deserve. ♥

I feel the same! Very good at writing how you feel:)

AngelsLullaby GOLD, Neverland, Idaho

Music is a higher revelation from wisdom and philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Love it. Very well written.

Taming_Agony said...
Taming_Agony, NY, New York
Wow. Poetic. OFTo I like it. YOu should keep going with this kind of stuff.