Reality Rediscovered | Teen Ink

Reality Rediscovered

December 10, 2010
By Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other
Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other
44 articles 2 photos 131 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything makes sense if you think too much about it.


I realised, a few days ago, that I complain a lot.
If I said that I was the only one and everyone else around me is as content as a honeybee in early winter, I would be lying. Very conspicuously, at that.
What is it about everything that makes us want to complain so much about the things we have, the things we want and the things we know in the deepest corners of our jealous hearts we can't have? What's even the point?
What most of us don't realise is that the person who said that every coin has two sides knew what he was talking about.
Think about it. There have to be maybe a million things out there that you want right now, that you think would satiate you. But really, all of those things...or most of them, at least, are shortlived fireworks that will leave nothing but a fading brand of neon light in your eyes, that you're going to blink away. Nothing is forever.
So let's get real. There may be things you absolutely hate about your life. But aren't there things to make up for it? There may be loads of people you hate, but a select, special few that you love with all your heart. There are liars, but there are also the people who can't lie to you to save their life. There is always a balance.
There is beauty in balance.
These experiences of life help you grow as a person. They make you who you are. These are the things that leave some permanent scars on you. But these are also the things that make you strong enough to heal. This is life, full on, never-ending and never waiting for you to catch your breath. This is it, the learning from life itself and drowning in the water by staying there.
Dreams are nothing but a figment of tomorrow if you really work for them. Impossible is nothing, and nothing is impossible. Strength and determination are your assets, and love and friendship your power. You have weaknesses; you're not perfect. Nobody is. Perfection is too boring. Imperfection is what makes everything unique enough to be real.
So the next time you start out with a complaint about how your life is absolutely miserable, think back. Isn't there something that you've gained? A lesson, strength, a friend. Something.
Because problems are going to come at you from all around, everywhere. But happiness is locked away inside you, in a glowing, golden chamber just waiting to be found. Look for it, and you'll be surprised by how much control you really have over your own happiness.

And here's hoping I don't sound like a Sunshine Scout high on my first beer or something. Because I'm not.


The author's comments:
A lesson it took me...a long time to learn. But at least I've got a lifetime figured out. :)