Larry the Cable Guy | Teen Ink

Larry the Cable Guy

By 5james BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5james BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Nathan William James. Also known as “Larry.” The name “Larry” has stuck for about six-seven years now. “Larry,” “Lorenzo,” “Lowry,” “Lowryenzo.” The variations go on for days. Sixth Grade, Merton Intermediate, Mrs.Kubisch’s math class. Giggles and chatter fill the room as me and a couple of buddies are working in the back on our homework for the day. John, Jake, Evan, and I are all sitting around the round table, acting like we're getting our work done. 

We sixth-Grade boys were making stupid, not funny jokes about the most random things. Then we get to the topic of Larry the Cable Guy. Evan looks over while giggling and says, “Ya know, Nathan, you remind me of this Larry the Cable Guy.” We all start giggling quietly to ensure Mrs. Kubisch wouldn’t come back over or give us the look. “Ya know, Larry fits you well; I’m going to call you Larry from now on,” Evan explains as we're all giggling under our breath.

“I kinda get what you’re saying, I like it,” I told Evan as we agreed mutually. As the other guys at the table realized it, who are some of my best friends still to this day, the general consensus was made. It’s Larry from now on.

As the school year progressed, unlike what I thought would have happened; the name stuck. From a couple of my friends at our work table making a name, to even Mrs.Kubisch referring to me as “Larry.” Through 7th grade, more and more people started to call me “Larry”, at one point I was more comfortable with people calling me as “Larry”, just because it was happening so frequently. From Evan giving me a nickname in Sixth grade, to Mr. Vassak referring to me as “Larry” during the whole eighth grade year. I started to think, this name really is a symbol of lots of memories and friendships I have made throughout the course of this time.

Now, as a junior in high school, I am still being called “Larry” by teachers, friends, parents of my best friends, and even my own family. It really shows how one nickname given to me in the Sixth grade has become a reminder to remember all of the great memories and friendships I  have been able to experience. From walking in the hallway everyday and hearing Ben Wellentin yell out, “Larry, how we doin?”. All the way to work where my Boss and other co-workers even call me the crazy nickname. The small little funny conversation during math class in sixth grade has turned into a way to cherish memories, experiences, and friendships that I have been so fortunate to experience.