flight B442 | Teen Ink

flight B442

Smelling the airport food, hearing the footsteps of people running to their gate, the suitcases rolling against the floor. “Where are you headed to?”

“Mexico, me and my girlfriend are going on a vacation.” going through security Julia and Raymond go through opposite sides. Taking off their shoes and jewelry passing through security with no problem. While Julia is still putting on her jewelry Raymond comes and helps gather the rest of her stuff, walking down to their gate holding hands looking like the lovely couple everybody wishes to be.

“Good Morning, passengers on flight B442 this plane will be boarding soon.” This trip will be everything we need bea, Taking a picture to post on Instagram Julia and Raymond are in the middle of a kiss..a yell comes behind the corner. 

“RAYMOND?” walking up to him you can hear the hate behind the yell. Julia looks at Raymond with a tense look on his face he knows there is going to be no good from what is about to happen. 

“This is your new girlfriend?” said Stella.

“what you want!” said Raymond.

“Well I haven't seen you since that night, just thought you should tell your little girlfriend you have a baby on the way.” 

“A..” said Julia as she tried to find her voice. 

“STELLA, come on it's always something with you I haven't seen you in how long?” said Raymond. 

“last call for all passengers on flight B442, I repeat this is the last call for flight B442” 

Feeling all these emotions, I ask myself “Should I cry over somebody who cheated on me? Should I show my true feelings? What should I do? said Julia. Leave, telling myself to leave. Walking away Julia looks back and forth at Raymond and Stella arguing and the gate constipating her decision. “don't look back”, Julia walks off to get on the plane to Mexico. 

“Stella, why are you here?” said Raymond.

“I told you why we are having a baby Raymond,”  said Stella 

“No, we're not you and I both know that's not my baby, you're just jealous to see me in another relationship,” said Raymond. 

“JULIA? Where did she go? Look what you did” said Raymond 

“Julia, Julia” Raymond looks around for her, but she's nowhere to be found. Raymond called Julia's phone over and over again leaving voicemails. “Julia, where are you, you have to believe me she is lying.” No answer, he walks to the gate and notices the plane has already taken off. Noticing that the plane has taken off Raymond begins to yell at the gate assist. 

“THAT'S MY FLIGHT! YOU NEED TO STOP THE PLANE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE ON THERE RIGHT NOW”! Said Raymond 

“Sir, please calm down so we can help you,” said the assistant

“YOU CAN HELP ME BY FINDING ME ANOTHER FLIGHT TO MEXICO,” said Raymond

“I'm sorry sir, the next flight does not leave for another 3 days from now, unfortunately, that seems booked but I can put you on the waitlist,” said the assistant. Julia has all these thoughts going through her head.

“He's going to come through those doors, he has to,” said Julia. Praying and hoping. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, please be seated as we close the doors and prepare the plane for departure.” Julia looks up to notice Raymond did not get on the plane. Tears roll down her face as she feels the plane pulling back. She goes to take out her phone whipping away her tears but is too late the plane has taken off and there is no cell service. Flying off to Mexico, Julia knows she wants to have fun like she planned. Landing in Mexico, Julia’s phone notifications uncontrollably go off. “Don't reply” she tells herself as she powers her phone off to enjoy her trip. Meanwhile, Raymond back home is still trying to get a hold of Julia. “Calling is not working, she powered her phone off. I have to show her the truth.” Raymond said to his homebody. 

“So tell me what happened,” said Raymond’s friend

“Man, so you remember Stella? I was talking to her way before I was talking to Julia,” said Raymond.

“Yes I remember her,” said Raymond’s friend

“Man, so we were at the airport waiting to board the plane. Julia was taking pictures of us and out of nowhere, all you hear is RAYMOND. So I started looking around and it was Stella coming around the corner with a pregnant belly.” 

“she pregnant?” asked Raymond’s friend 

“Man listen she trying to tell me I got her pregnant,” said Raymond

“Did you? I know you and Julia have been getting into it that's why y’all were going out of town..” said Raymond's friend with a questionable look on his face. 

“You can wipe that look off your face ‘cause that's not my baby. I haven't seen that girl in a long time” said Raymond. 

“So what's a long time?” said Raymond's friend. Raymond's friend starts laughing as if he doesn't believe Raymond. “I'm just saying it only takes one time,” said Raymond's friend as he left the room. Raymond gets more angry after talking to his friend. “He doesn't have to believe me, I know that's not my baby. Raymond says to himself.  As the night comes to an end Raymond ends the night by thinking of ways he can show everybody the truth. The next morning Raymond goes to the airport hoping to see Stella. “She better be at work today,” said Raymond. Walking up to the nearest shop he sees. 

“Hey, do you know if a girl named Stella is working today?”

“Hello, sorry I'm not sure, I do know she works at the gift shop at gate B.”

“Thank you,” said Raymond. Walking to gate B Raymond feels the aggravation of just being in the airport. The anger builds back up from the situation Raymond knows he doesn't want to make a scene in the airport, approaching gate B Raymond sees Stella at the gift shop. Making eye contact Stella makes a smirk as if she expected to see Raymond.

“I knew you would come to your senses,” said Stella 

“We are going To court to get a paternity test,” said Raymond 

“Why? We know it’s yours,” said Stella 

“They will be calling to set up a date,” said Raymond. As Raymond walks away Stella screams in the background. 

“RAYMOND, RAYMOND! YOU KNOW THIS YOUR BABY. YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU TRYING TO TAKE ME TO COURT”. The airport gets silent everybody turns around and looks at Stella with an embarrassed look on her face Stella can't take her eyes off Raymond walking out of the airport. Raymond begins to pull out his phone to try calling Julia’s cell again. 

“Julia, I know you probably won't hear this. I hope you are enjoying your trip. You deserved it, I tried getting on the plane, but gate closed and the next flight didn't leave until you came back. I tried to get to you. I know it's hard to believe me right now but you have to understand. I think about you every day, I just tried to call to tell you we are getting a court date set for the results of the paternity test. I hope you can make it. I miss you”. Said Raymond. On the way to the medical office ready to get this all over with, Raymond knows deep down this is not his baby and he wants his girlfriend back. Waiting in the waiting room, Raymond gets a phone call from the court. 

“Yes that's perfect, thank you,” said Raymond as he hung up the phone. We have the court date, it's the same day Julia comes back from her trip. This is perfect. Julia will see for herself the truth. 

“Raymond?” the doctor calls out.

“Yes right here,” said Raymond 

“Hello, you can follow me back here,” said the doctor

“ok you’re all done you should get the result back in 2 days.” said the front desk worker 

“And they will send the results to the court house right?” asked Raymond

“Yes sir,” said the front desk worker

“Thank you, have a nice day,” said Raymond as he left the office. 

“Julia I know you have 100 voicemails from me by now but I can't stop thinking about whether you are ok or not. Please come to the courthouse when you get back from your trip. I will be there and you will see the truth. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to New York, your local time is 8:00 am,” said the flight attendant. Julia begins to gather her belongings, the plane door opens walking out the doors, her phone dings and dings. Looking at her voicemails thinking to herself in shock he left 85 voicemails. Julia clicks to listen to the recent voicemail as she is listening and questions herself about going to the courthouse. 

“TAXI” yells Julia.

“Where are you headed?” asked the taxi driver 

“The courthouse,” said Julia. Julia looks out the window as she is on the way to the courthouse. Raymond passes back and forth in front of the courthouse. Stella comes out of the front double doors.

“Don't be nervous now” said Stella 

“Can you go away? Nobody nervous because of your lies,” said Raymond 

“Lies? You know this is your baby” said Stella, a yellow taxi pulled in front of the courthouse Raymond’s stop passes.

“Please be her, please be her,” Raymond whispers under his breath. As Julia steps out of the taxi you would think the world went silent . Raymond runs down the stairs to Julia.

“Please don’t I want to know the truth Raymond,” said Julia. 

“Ok I understand, let's go get the result, it's almost our time. Walking into the courthouse everybody sits on different sides. Trying not to make eye contact, the tension is so high in the room as everybody has so much they could say the silence in the room as the doors creep open. 

“All rise” Everybody begging to stand the judge walks into the courtroom.

“You may be seated,” said the judge. We are brought here today to get the result of Stella's unborn child. And those results were sent over by the official office you both went to to get your blood drawn. The judge begins to look through his paperwork. Raymond glances around the room as he notices Stella has this fearful look on her face. 

“Well here are the results,” said the judge. Hearing the heavy breathing, the blank stears on the judge rubbing their hands together. 

“Raymond you are.. Raymond wakes up Julia.

“Rolls 4 and 5 are now boarding,” said the assistant. Julia jumped out of her sleep. 

“Are you ok?” asked Raymond. Julia gasping for air looking around the airport.

“You wouldn't believe the dream I just had” said Julia confusedly.

“It's our turn to get on the plane, you can tell me all about your dream on the plane.”