What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

By PsychoSeal17 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
PsychoSeal17 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Lyrics that mean nothing, we were gifted with thought" -Holding onto you, 21 pilots.

A forgetful man plagued with memories from his days in Vietnam sits silently on a small, old linen couch. He mindlessly stares out the window, looking at nothing in particular as his wire glasses lie in two pieces on the ground. Ladies in blue scrubs check on the old man every so often, failing to mention his lack of sight to his son.

Spiraling out of control, the helicopter catches fire and crashes to the ground. The images burn in his mind as he recalls the multiple accidents. Men he departed America with no longer walk by his side as he exhaustingly steps off a 20-hour flight only to be greeted by anti-war protesters.

This man is my grandfather and I speak of him proudly. He won’t speak my name as he doesn’t remember me and only repeatedly utters the day of the week. Alzheimer’s set in years ago and continues to slowly expand over his fragile mind. Giving up the quality of his life to help those suffering is what makes the United States flag stand with pride and dignity.

Men and women put their lives on the line to help those suffering in Vietnam despite not being appreciated for it. They did what was right even when they were not welcomed back to America enthusiastically. Doing what is right when no one else seems to agree with you symbolizes the red, white, and blue that make up our country’s flag.

However, it is not only those who have fought for this country that gives the flag meaning. Citizens stand for the flag when the Star Spangled Banner is sung before a baseball game. Students stand for the flag when the Pledge of Allegiance is recited before school. They stand because they believe in something bigger than themselves. They believe in the red, white, and blue.

Red is valor. White is purity. Blue is perseverance. The 50 stars show the unity of our country and our ability to act as one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

CreativeOwl11, Hartland, Wisconsin
Very moving piece