Look at the Bright Side | Teen Ink

Look at the Bright Side

By alia GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
alia GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

So often I found myself close to my small group of friends. Everyone who knew any one of us knew all of us. It was comforting, to say the least. Always knowing you have someone to lean back on is a very underappreciated part of life. It makes you feel full. Wanted. It’s a feeling that cannot be explained nor exchanged for anything else. I would never go out of my way to find new people to talk to and hang out with because I already had that. It seemed foolproof; 6 years went by and nothing changed, but that’s what makes it dangerous.

When you rely on something so much, it’s a catastrophe when it no longer exists. This is exactly what happened to me when I suddenly found myself 1,000 miles away in a small town where I didn’t have that. I didn’t know anyone, didn’t have anyone to rely on, and no one to resort to when I’m bored. Nothing. I was forced to join clubs, sports, and activities that I had never previously considered. I had holes in my life that I needed to fill. 

For a while, it wasn’t easy. Everyone already had their friends, and they all felt the same way that I did with my group of friends before. It took involvement to a level that I never was interested in. I was going to club meetings, sports practices, and school activities multiple times a night until I felt as if I was constantly missing multiple pints of blood.

Making friends doesn’t happen immediately, and that’s what makes it so hard. Persistency. Through all of my determination and relentlessness, I was able to make a good group of friends in a few different areas of my life. 

No one wants to face difficulty. No one wants to be challenged. No one wants to be an outsider. Except, that doesn’t matter because that's impossible. Everyone faces their own problems every single day, and we can choose how to deal with them. This was by far the single biggest challenge I’ve ever faced, and I’d say the skills I’ve learned and developed make me prepared for any other issue I face. 

Don't be scared of difficulties, attack them. More good will come than bad with the right attitude. Persistence is key.