Airports | Teen Ink

Airports

By 3meyert BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
3meyert BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

The airport is a place you go when you want to go somewhere. It's a place that only exists out of necessity, every person you’ll see in an airport aside from the workers are there to go somewhere they want. No one thinks of where they are, only where they are going. The inside of an airport is thereby not friendly but not hostile, it simply guides its visitors where they want to go. Airports are really beautiful when you think about it. 

With the airport being such a dull and uninviting place it makes whatever strangers you may meet inside much friendlier. It happened to me about a year and a half ago when I was in Phoenix waiting for my flight home. A girl walked by, she was pretty but not the kind of pretty that breaks necks but the kind of nice looking face no one would have an issue with. Her long blonde hair was down which really brought how green her eyes were. Really she was likely made much more beautiful by the dullness of everything and everyone around her. As I began conversing with this girl I found that both of us were getting much closer as the conversation progressed. My flight was delayed but I had no issue getting back into my conversation, while this girl was talking I had decided that I wanted a relationship with her. After this realization I jumped back into talking to distract myself from my thoughts. 

After about 45 minutes I boarded the plane with that girl and I have not spoken to or seen her since. The flight was long so I had time to think about the encounter I just had. How did this girl get so far into my head after only 45 minutes? Why did it all feel so strong? 

With how much hustle and focus on the future in the airport, focusing on the moment with someone can make standing in line at starbucks feel like a date lasting hours. 

Airports are strange with long desolate hallways and sardine can-like terminals but in this monotony it creates a much more pleasant reality when the opportunity arises.

The stylistic devices used in this piece include showing instead of telling (last sentence), thoughts in italics (3rd paragraph) and different POV(first paragraph). I used these devices to create a piece with a largely melancholic tone about encountering relationships in boring places and how they feel much different when being experienced personally.