Spirituality Recognition | Teen Ink

Spirituality Recognition

April 21, 2021
By loganrweaver999 BRONZE, Versailles, Kentucky
loganrweaver999 BRONZE, Versailles, Kentucky
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

There I sat, with my grandmother, my favorite person, admiring the beautiful scene that mother nature was providing us with, through the grand windows of the cabin. All that I could hear were the thick raindrops hitting the metal roof I felt as if I was being hugged by the beautiful elements. A breeze, which entered the room through a cracked window, brushed against my skin. The smell of fresh pine and petrichor lingered throughout the room. Thunder started to clap. Police sirens started to run. The question of existence popped into my mind. Why are we all here? What is my purpose? My grandmother turned to me. I could see all the way into her hazel green eyes. Her hair was fading but still managed to fall so elegantly. Her high cheekbones triggered memories of her teaching me about our Native American heritage. I admired her beautiful skin, which she always thought was displeasing. The state of deep concentration that I found myself in was interrupted by the squeaks of the front door. I turned to see my sister leaving the cabin. I surveyed the cars passing by our cabin, their wheels spraying the far grass with water as they turned the corner. I looked back to my grandmother and a feeling of great admiration came over me. There is no one that I would rather be here with, I thought. She understood me, she was my person. I grabbed her hand in order to feel a physical connection with the one person with who I had always felt a spiritual connection. Her hands were always so soft and warm even though they had gone through so much. I turned to collapse into her arms, the place that I felt the closest to her when I opened my eyes. It had all been nothing but a dream. Oh, what I’d do to look into my grandmother's beautiful eyes again. To feel the warmth of her hand. To hear stories of where my family came from. I sat up in my bed in disbelief and noticed that my window was open from the previous night. Rain poured down and flooded the trenches. I could feel my grandmother's spirit in my room. I knew that she was with me, in a way that was not physical, but spiritual. I came to the realization that she was the one who blessed me with this beautiful storm. She was always there, always watching over me. 


The author's comments:

This piece is about a dream that I had about my grandmother, who recently passed away, that helped me understand that she might not be here physically, but she'll always be here with me spiritually.