Twister | Teen Ink

Twister

By aknoll PLATINUM, Conrath, Wisconsin
aknoll PLATINUM, Conrath, Wisconsin

My town is not very well known. But on May 16th of 2017, Conrath Wisconsin was seen. It was almost 6pm when my papa (my mom's dad) called. The phone rang like any other time. I was on my way upstairs when my mom said to me "Quick get the othe kids in the basement, now!". That moment I knew it was a twister and my heart felt like it dropped to my feet. It was stormy and windy out but I never imagened that windy.

I called the others in a panic and we all ran to the basement. My mom close behind after closing all the windows and grabbing an armload of blankets. We stayed down there for about an hour tell our aunt called to say it passes. Our uncle was just going back to there house from work (which is 15 minutes from ours). When he got back and my aunt told him about the tornado they got into the car and drove the way he came from because it was clear. I was crying like a little child though I was 14 years old. I didn't want our house to be destroyed because it was one of the biggest things I had left from my memories with our dad. Our house was fine, but the farms only a few houses down were in shables. Barns were destroyed and houses brang down. We missed the twister by no more (most likely less then) half a mile. That was one of the many times I felt helpless. I've started to gaurd myself more and more whenever I feel helpless. I still feel like it most of the time but I try not to let people in to see it. Needless to say I now realize how lucky we were to be safe and sound. And I can only pray that it will never happen again. 

This is real and true. One of the scariest times of my life.