The Perfect Platter | Teen Ink

The Perfect Platter

By awais25 BRONZE, Portland, Maine
awais25 BRONZE, Portland, Maine

When it comes to food, there is nothing I look forward to more than my daily cheese platter. Every day, a different medley of unique flavors tantalizes my taste buds. These flavors range from the gratification of a good gouda to the crumbliness of a Cotija cheese. I’ve always appreciated a good mac and cheese, but it was rare for me to eat cheese on its own until one stifling August afternoon. 

On that hot August day, my Mom came up with the brilliant idea of concocting a cheese platter as a pre-dinner appetizer. This was during soccer preseason, so countless days of running caused me to come home with an enormous appetite. After my first taste, I fell in love. From that moment on, my affinity for cheese blossomed, and the consumption of cheese platters became a daily occurrence. The more I indulged in the world of cheese, the more I began to realize that there was something about the way my Mom constructed the cheese platters. Each time she prepares the platter, she carefully slices the cheese into bite-sized wedges and positions them next to their wrappers. She knows I’m curious to learn everything about the cheese: the name, region, type of milk (cow, sheep, or goat), and age. I enjoy feeling the various textures of the wrappers, whether they are wrinkly and metallic, or waxy and smooth. The creamy French brie comes in round wooden boxes; the crumbly Stilton is usually wrapped in a silver metallic cover; the Irish reserve cheddar is dressed in the colors of the Irish flag - green, white, and orange. My frequent consumption of cheese has extended my knowledge to the point where I could write an encyclopedia about it.

But cheese alone does not define the overall flavor of the cheese platter. My Mom frequently includes rough salami or paper-thin prosciutto to enhance the taste and give it that flavorful and juicy element. She includes the trademark chewy texture of Genoa salami and on special occasions, she will sprinkle a bit of her Russian heritage into it by including the more firm and cured Eastern European salamis. Besides salami, another staple of my Mom’s classic cheese platters is soft bread. This isn’t just any white bread either. My Mom either goes to a bakery or a farmer’s market to purchase rustic honey wheat bread. This bread is typically wood-fired to have a crispy crust on the outside and a chewy inside. Whenever I sink my teeth into this type of bread, the soft texture and pinch from the honey make my taste buds dance. The final touch, which typically accompanies my cheese platter, is plump, fresh fruit. I really like any type of fruit with the platters whether it is succulent grapes, sweet mango, or tangy apples. My favorite out of these is apples because the acidity and juiciness truly complement the cheese. 

With time I started to realize that the thing missing from other platters is my Mom's attention to detail and the care that she puts into them. Each week she goes to Whole Foods to carefully choose a few types of cheese from the infinite selection. Every time I eat a platter, she consults with me on which cheeses I particularly enjoy. Then, she uses my feedback to repurchase the cheeses I liked and replace the mediocre ones with new cheeses. When I consume cheese platters made by others, it’s hard to feel the same care that I feel from my Mom’s. 

It can be difficult to notice the meaning behind others' actions in our day-to-day lives, but when these actions are performed on a daily basis, it starts to become easier to develop an appreciation for one’s intentions. In the case of the cheese platter, it took me a while to notice the intention behind my Mom’s cheese platters. However, as I consumed more and more, I began to identify this ritual more as a way to connect than just a meal. I realized that my Mom’s carefully curated cheese platters based on my taste profile are an example of how she shows love through her drive to always keep me satisfied. Ever since I was young, my Mom has tried her hardest to make sure that my needs are completely met. For example, one day my Mom and I were taking a bus in the middle of the winter into town; snow was slowly piling down around us and I forgot to bring my jacket. When I took my seat, I began shivering, but my Mom gave me her jacket even though she knew that she was going to be cold. I never expect her or even ask her to make so many sacrifices, but she always does and if I told her to stop, I know she would refuse. Her creation of the cheese platter is similar to this bus story because rather than her jacket, she is sacrificing her time to put in a little extra effort.

The way my Mom shows affection is one of a kind. Ever since I was a baby, I have been particularly close with my Mom. We have been through high and lows. She has comforted me on my worst nights when I couldn’t sleep and she also has praised me on my best days when I felt on top of the world. We have been separated through fights, but every time, we gravitate back towards each other. The strength of our bond is stronger than the strength of separation. I believe that no matter what happens, there will always be an inherent force that keeps us together. 

Love can come in many forms; it can be displayed through actions, words, or even food. By intentionally selecting each cheese to fit my palette, my Mom displays her love by valuing my happiness and making sure my hunger is tamed. Also, love takes continual effort, and it needs to be observed in order to develop mutual affection in relationships. My observation of my Mom’s continuous effort and her personalization of the spread of cheeses allowed me to develop an understanding of her intention behind her cheese platters. Just like love, a cheese platter needs to have persistence, effort, and a direct intention in order for it to have a true meaning for me.   

Abie has grown up in Maine all his life and he enjoys playing soccer, drawing, and visiting Acadia National Park in the summer. He wrote this piece in an essay writing class at his school.