Wasteland | Teen Ink

Wasteland

December 15, 2023
By Anonymous

Back in 2021 I got really into all types of music because one of my best friends was encouraging me to learn more about different genres. Before that I would mainly only listen to rap, but a little R&B and pop but that's about it. He put me on this R&B group called Sonder who absolutely took me over. Their music was incredible, as if I started levitating the second the beat dropped and the lead singers vocals absolutely melted my ears with passion. Immediately after hearing a few of their songs I started to discover their whole discography repeatedly for weeks only to find what would become my favorite artist for the next year. /lThe lead singer of the band- Brent Faiyaz had the voice of a god and I couldn't get enough of it. 

Over the course of the next year I continued to discover new kinds of music but Brent remained my favorite the whole time. At the start of summer 2022 I opened instagram one morning and was blessed with the greatest news possible, Brent was dropping his long awaited album at the end of summer which also meant a tour was coming soon. Now all I needed to worry about was if he would come to Colorado on tour, which got me a little worried, because a few big artists who had announced tours earlier that year weren't coming to Denver for some reason. I was worried until July 8th, 2022 when Wasteland dropped, the 19 track long album was exactly what it was expected to be and more. With iconic features from Drake, Alicia Keys, Tyler, the creator, and many many more the album single handedly kicked off Brents insanely quick spiral to fame with the album charting at #1 on all platforms the first 6 weeks. Just one week after Wasteland came out Brent and his team announced the tour dates and I was finally relieved of all anxiety when I saw ¨July 25th Denver, CO- Mission Ballroom¨. My heart dropped to the floor in awe after I read the caption t the tour dates on his website, witch read, ¨With live instrumental with Sonder¨ meaning his band would be along tour with him, and I got to see the people who changed what I felt like was the course of my life. 

Since the concert date was a year away, I had plenty of time to try and figure out how I was going to go to the show. WIthout a car and being a broke 15 year old I got a job and started saving as much as possible knowing I need to buy my own car and try to go to the Brent concert. I grinded working almost everyday after school until march 2023 when I had started to work a little less and go to other concerts of less popular artists I really enjoy. Come May 2023, I did not have enough money to get Brent Faiyaz tickets because they had skyrocketed in price due to his sudden rise of popularity. With tickets priced at $250 each before fees, I had no chance at affording it myself. Slowly my hopes declined and I started to worry profusely. That was until my good friend who had got me into Brent at the beginning named Marquis decided to surprise me with tickets for my birthday. I was shocked and so thankful I was going to go see my favorite artist with the person who introduced me to him and probably the only one who could understand the importance of it. 

Come the day of the concert, it almost felt surreal, I had no idea what to expect when we got to the venue. Marquis picked me up at 5:30, 90 minutes before the doors opened. We were going to get food in Denver before the show because we had a lot of time since Brent wasn't coming out until at least 8. We ate at this top tier mexican spot that had almost nobody in it, it was some of the best tacos I have ever tasted. The perfect tone setter for the show I couldn't wait to experience. We parked at the venue at about 7:50, much later than we had expected to be. Worried more than ever, I rushed us into the building and through the line to assure we wouldn't miss any performance time. Surely enough we were just in time and had just enough time to wait in the outrageously long merch line to get shirts and other stuff. The line for a shirt felt like it took forever, but eventually after I got the perfect shirt, we walked into the performance room and almost immediately Brent walked out and everyone went nuts. Not as crazy as me though, jumping up and down and screaming every lyric.  It was truly the best night of my life. 


The author's comments:

My first ever concer with my older brother I will never forget