An 'Almost' Forgotten Memory | Teen Ink

An 'Almost' Forgotten Memory

December 12, 2023
By Anonymous

Standing in position on a spring floor, forty seven feet from the jump, or breaking the bounce of the wires underneath your bright white socks. Feeling the inside of your stomach turn, hiding your insecurities once your name is called. You forget everything that's ever been on your mind, for seconds until you stick, and you're back to the life you had before. But for those mere moments you were away, in a world you created, there were no limits, just you and the beating of your heart. 

The Studio
As I turn the corner from South Sanders Road the building instantly is visible. The structure of the building could have originally been built to be a four vehicle garage, large enough to hold semis. Walking into the building, a small room to separate the place and the outside world, with tables and racks of uniforms and merchandise to buy. Through the room into the studio are bleachers for patient parents to watch. Straight to my locker in the right corner, a small wall of brown lockers with our names in bright green and blue, it always made me feel special having my own locker, knowing I was there for more than most others. Looking around at the various equipment and drills setup could give me an idea of what I may practice.

The Ruler 
Her name was Becky, and she could be as much of a Becky as you could imagine. Her blonde bob, which changed between bright blonde to a little too platinum between the variation of my time there. She was extremely short, but made up for it with her muscular body. She was as old as my mom and yet my mom would never be able to attend a crossfit class she would attend every day.  Becky knew her stuff, she was a pro and she knew it. Everything I learned about the sport I learned from her. Although sometimes her interesting ideas about religion could make you question her in general. 

The Tumble
 Three feet wide and fifty feet long, and elevated a foot off the ground. Falling never seemed like a worry until now. The blue carpet flooring and a thin white velcro lining ran all the way down the floor, hiding the springs underneath. The feeling I had flying in the air after hitting just the right spot, making power as though it was coming from nothing. 

Run, Jump, Bounce
Forty seven feet away from the jump. Every step is calculated perfectly so when I'm ready I'll hit the perfect wire, like jumping on the lattice design on a pie. Running fast, fast, faster to my jump point, then hit on the first jump now two feet from the ground. Two jumps left and I was back on the ground. Depending on the pass meant whether I was twisting, turning, or flipping after my white grip socks landed back on the pie. My final jump would put me back on the ground. Hoping to anything with the power to place me gracefully on the ground. Finally I was done, and I was back in line to do it again.

Jump in place

Walking on the wire, it was almost like a pie; however, the space I was given was large and completely flat. Depending on the studio, I could be six feet off the ground, or level with the floor, with a several foot hole underneath. With each jump I was higher and higher in the air, closer to the sun farther away from the ground. I was known for the height I created with every jump I took, it achieved me more points because of my competitors fear of the height. I loved every bit of it. Each time I came back down to earth another jump formed a new position of skill. My favorite was always landing instead of the balls of my feel but flat on my back instead. I was one with the wire underneath me and when the routine was over I was back in place like everyone else.

The feeling I was lucky enough to experience was so important to me at the time. I saw the studio more than some of my family and friends. Being there made me feel strong, as though I could do anything. Forgetting about my memories is likely to happen, however the feelings I felt off the ground will be a feeling I could never forget. Standing on podiums, holding my trophies, knowing I was one of the best.


The author's comments:

I wrote this essay in class on the subject of a personal narrative memoir because it was something about my life that at one point meant the world to me. It was important for the reader to almost guess what I was writing about based on details instead of explicitly stating what I was referring too.