Life Cycle | Teen Ink

Life Cycle

The clinging shock, the bridge between hope and anguish seemed to be swayed and tilted, the memories came rushing back, hoping we could make it in time to say our final words. The phone call filled the car with anguish and sadness. The road home seemed farther and farther away. At the snap of one's fingers is how quick one leaves. We approached the apartment and opened the door. The squeak lingers.

The loud cries and sniffling echo through my ear.

The gratefulness being expressed, how much he has affected our lives

The tears couldn’t stop. Flowing down my cheekbones like a waterfall.

I'm scared to touch him. I say my thoughts to him while sniffling, my heart swells and I swallow back. Thank you so much for all you have done for me. Everytime I come over. You make sure I have everything and more. 你有足夠的錢嗎?你餓了嗎?拿一些腰果. ( Do you have enough money? Are you hungry? Take some cashews.)

My grandma declares so everyone will know. “He has done so much for us, he always cared for your well being over his, he used to do 100 pushups a day.” We watch as his body gets wrapped and carried out to his temporary home knowing he has made it to his forever house.

Sad that he’s gone but grateful he was here.

When my grandpa passed away, it was so sudden I don’t think during that time I comprehended it. It was my first time experiencing death of someone near to me so I was kind of shocked. One phone call and he passed. We were coming back from a camp about an hour away when the call came. I’m trying to write what happened during those few hours, adding a bit of our religion which our family really values in the second last sentence and to use more descriptive and imaginary writing  to enhance the story. I really like how I added the last part which pretty much summarizes what the story was about.