“Social Anxiety is Perfectly Normal” | Teen Ink

“Social Anxiety is Perfectly Normal”

October 21, 2023
By Runchrandra BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
Runchrandra BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I Carry social anxiety from time to time. When I meet new people that I don't normally interact with, they are more likely adults. My hands began to get all wet and sweaty, my whole body started heating up, my words didn't come out like sentences, and I froze on the spot. It feels like im not there, like im in an empty box as noises get carried out I feel overstimulated and then get mad at myself for not talking like a regular person. My voice gets quiet and feel as if they think im stupid and don't know how to speak. I almost sometimes have to rely on others to answer for me, though it is rare.

 Im fine talking to kids my age and elders, but not middle-aged adults they make me extremely nervous, they are just so judgemental and always have attitudes. But then in the end I just realized im an awkward person and that's okay, many others are awkward as well and I believe in overcoming my awkwardness to talk to new people and be able to express myself.

I have short locs of all different sizes, dark skin, and dark brown eyes, I love to paint and vlog occasionally. I like to make others laugh and see other people happy because it makes me smile brightly from ear to ear to see people happy. 


I am chilling in the theater. I see other people, video game stands, a photo booth and other children hanging out with each other. I hear the sound of my shoes tapping against the floor with every step I take sinking my feet into the smooth ground. It smells like buttery popcorn and cheesy nachos. The cinema brings joy to me because it is the perfect place to hang out with friends. The vibes I get in this place are mixed emotions of happiness and excitement. 

One day it was a nice sunny day and I and my friends went to watch the Barbie Movie at the Cinema. We all had fun, we had pretzel bites and smoothies. The salty flavor of the pretzel slithered across our tongues making our tastebuds bawl in joy. The smoothie was silky smooth with its strawberry and banana essence. Then suddenly the movie was about to start so we all hurried and ran up the stairs so we wouldn't miss it.

On the other hand, we forgot about the age limit for younger people when the clock struck 6:00 p.m. Luckily one of my friends had an ID to show to the staff so we entered the movie. But then the staff suddenly told us that an ID was required for all of us and I began to panic. I was the youngest one in the group just a year younger than them which makes a huge difference. I didn't have an ID because I wasn't up to age just yet, so the older staff guy asked me when my birthday was frozen up I was already panicking thinking my mom had to come and pick me up since I couldn't go through. I sat there and spaced out and they started raising the voices a little louder and I admit I felt like crying a bit I have no idea why but I didn't. I finally told them my birth date and they let me go in since my birthday was close meaning ill was up to age. I felt stupid the rest of the day.


Even if you feel like you aren't accepted in a certain group of this society because you are different it is okay. Not everyone was born the same, and nobody is perfect. Having social anxiety or any form of anxiety is perfectly normal, it's a part of life. The majority of many well-known favorites have anxiety. This experience is important to me because I am not going to give up even if it means embarrassing myself in front of people and though it may take some time to overcome this anxiety it is not easy to just drop it. Even if I surpass my fear of speaking to older peers, that nervousness will still be there because that is just a part of life, although I intend to take a few steps at a time, the results will be worth it, trust the process.


The author's comments:

Having Anxiety is okay, it's a part of the journey of your life.