How I Became Responsible | Teen Ink

How I Became Responsible

October 20, 2023
By aiden10 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
aiden10 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On a cold, winter night I speed outside to start my car. Not starting right away, I twist the key angrily and my car clicks then starts. It's 10 degrees out and I was supposed to already be at my friend's house watching NFL games. I jumped into my car and started driving. The icy wind gust trying to push my car off the road but then I skidded to a stop at a stop sign.The lights on the sign flashing bright red then back. My legs shivering in the cold as I looked at the forest far far away. You could see the dark outline of all the trees in the distance. The one house around me looked old and abandoned. I saw the red eyes of something dart across the street and under my car. I am a 5”8 16 year old kid at the time. With my dirty blonde/ brownish hair covered with a hat to keep my ears warm. Wearing pants, I try to keep the hair standing up on my legs but somehow I'm still cold on this night. Its eyes shine red in the dark but they turn to a bright, shiny green. Hiding behind my tire, the scared kitten was frozen in place. I gently grab the kitten and bring her into the car. I slam the door shut, blast the heat, and wrap her up in a blanket. Stunned, she didn't move an inch. I snapped a picture of the cute kitten before I scurried onto the road.

When I got home, I posted the picture of the kitten online to see if it was anybody's. All warmed up, we entered my house and made sure my chubby cat waddled upstairs. The kitten devours the food we gave her. She quickly drank the water after eating all the food. Trying to explore the house, we moved her into a room and slowly closed the door. We let her explore my room and stay in there for the night. She passed out of a blanket in the corner of my room. In the morning, she was trying to escape to explore the rest of the house. My other cat, downstairs, was waiting to be introduced to Luna. After a week, nobody claimed the cat so we decided to keep her. She went from being a scrawny little kitten to being a muscular cat. Her bright eyes would still shine red in the dark. Jovie and Luna became companions.

When we first introduced them Luna sprinted away after Jovie pawed at her. They had a rough start to their friendship but Luna kept nagging Jovie until she started enjoying Luna's company. You could hear them thudding around the house at night, see them staring at the colorful birds, and napping on the couch with each other. When Jovie had enough of Luna she would sleep in my parents bed. They would come up to your face at night and would plop down. They were inseparable together. 

This experience was important to me because getting another cat showed me how to take care of a pet and how much you have to do for them. This changed me because it taught me how to be responsible as a person and caring. I never realized how much work and responsibility it takes to take care of and own a pet. Now, I realize that getting a new cat has helped me become a better person.


The author's comments:

This is the story about how we saved a cat and how it made me become responsible.