Heartbroken | Teen Ink

Heartbroken

December 8, 2020
By Anonymous

Through life, you experience many events. Some events are better than others. But if you don't heal quickly. More events will come into your life. That simply leave you heartbroken.

I grew up with a Father, Mother, and Brother. My fathers' parents are divorced and my mother's Dad passed away before I was born. However, there was one Grandparent that I looked up to the most. It was my Grandma. My family of four would go up and visit her for Christmas, the Fourth of July, and sometimes just to visit her for no reason. However last year she was involved in a terrible accident. 

While she was walking back to her car, on a cold December evening. She slipped and fell on ice breaking her ankel. She then was rushed to the hospital. Days later getting surgrey. She stayed in the hospital to recover then moved into the nursing home since she lived alone and couldn't move herself alone with a broken ankel. 

My family and I visited her as often as we could. However one day we heard some devastating news. She had gotten an infection in her ankel and began to get weaker. While visiting her she didn't look the greatest and was having trouble moving. She couldn't even use the bathroom by herself.

Seeing someone you love in such pain broke my heart. One memory I have of this time is when my mom and I were driving home and I began crying asking my mom "is grandma going to die". She responded with "I'm not sure". At that moment it hit me that I might loose my greatest role model and friend.

After that trip, I didn't see her for awhile. I was busy doing soccer and schooling. My mom would go up and visit her alone on the weekends. A tournment was coming up and my Mom and I drove to the tournment, around where my grandma was staying. After my first game my Mom went to visit my grandma, while my friend and I went shopping since I had a game after. The tornment got cancelled because of the rain fall and we decided to head home.

While we heading home my Dad and Brother were heading up to my cousin party. Then my mom got a devastating phone call from my Dad. She came into my room and sat down. She said "Grandma's going to pass soon". "Do want to go drive up and see her". As I balled my eyes out I grabbed my belongings and we began the three hour trip ahead.

We arrived to the nursing home and outside my Dad greeted us with a very upset face. I will never forget the look on my Dad's face that day. My Mom asked "did she pass". He said "yes a few minutes ago". As soon as those words left his mouth my body caved in. I felt sick. 

I never thought that I could be so heartbroken. I looked up to my Grandma. She was a fighter, a friend, and a great person. She is someone I will not only forget but is someone I will strive to be like. 


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write about my grandma's passing because writing about her makes all the memories of her come back. She was a lovely person and someone who needs to be remembered. Her passing taught me to never take anything for granted and I thought I could share mine and her story to you.