screams in the night | Teen Ink

screams in the night

November 13, 2020
By Anonymous

It is said the brain is active for 10 minutes after you die processing everything. It makes you wonder, will my death be silent? Unnoticed? Or will it be fulfilled with tears and soothing whispers tickling your ear. This is how my last 10 minutes lasted. 


March 6th, 2015 2.30 am I was laying on the cold bathroom tiles staring at my popcorn ceiling. The bathroom light was so bright. As my breathing slowed my body being passive about the slowed breathing I felt a smile on my face as teardrops flowed. I closed my eyes tired of fighting anymore, the note that once was in my hands fluttering to the ground. Silence.


I was at ease until my ears rang with a 10 years old scream. My little sister saw my body looking very pale that night, slight foam escaping my prone cherry plum lips. Soon, everyone was rushing tears were dropping someone screaming “call 911!” the feeling of hands hurdle me on my side forcing their fear out of my mouth and many pills coming out. “What did you do” an odd alliteration to be coming from my mother's mouth. 


But the only thing that could relay in my head was how just moments ago people were singing happy birthday dear and they all smiled without knowing I was wishing that my fire would go out. Soon i was being halted up on a all to thick stretcher not being able to see properly the strange ominous faces that were trying to save my life. 


Sirens, teardrops and screams was my last 10 minutes or so i thought before the next thing i knew i was in the bed of CHI’S 4th floor for 3 months.


Walking, talking, laughing recovering from that o so night.


The author's comments:

march 6th 2015 the day i attempted suicde. (dont worry im perfectly fine now)