Almost Gone | Teen Ink

Almost Gone

November 5, 2020
By Anonymous

I was 17 years old when I ended up in a psychiatric hospital because of a suicide attempt. I had been dealing with sever depression for years up until that point but many around me never noticed how bad it was. All of my friends always saw me smiling and laughing. On the inside I was the complete opposite. I was constantly waiting for school days to be over so I could go home and lock myself in my room. I wouldn't want to do anything. This includes schoolwork, socializing, and even eating. One day I had enough. I was home alone and struggling worse than I ever had before. I was in a state of panic with thought racing through my head. I didn't realize what I was doing until I found myself with my neck wrapped up. Before I knew it I dropped and my neck was pulled aggresively. In an instant I found my footing and unwrapped my neck. My neck was scratched with red burns all around. Later on I explained to my parents and I was rushed to a hospital where I spent hours lying in a bed. At about 2 o'clock in the morning I was sent to a pyschiatric hospital. 

When I arrived at the hospital I was checked all around and assigned to a room to spend the rest of the night. I was awaken early that morning by a staff member telling me that it was time to shower and start the day. After I did what I had to do I was told to meet in the meeting room. This is where most of our day would be held. I spent about 6 days in this hospital before I was cleared to leave. When I got home I opened my phone to see so many messages from my classmates who who worried and wanted to know where I went and if I was okay. This made me realize just how many people actually cared about me and how I was actualy apart of many people's lives. I then returned to school a month later. When I got to school I was nervous because I hadn't seen any of my friends since my incident. I walked into class and my classmates were suprised to see me again. The teacher stopped the class for a moment to welcome me back. 

Since this I have still struggled with my mental health but I am continuing to push in my life. I still have dreams that I want to achieve and experience I want to live to see. Life does get better. It may seem like your life is stuck in place right now but there is always light at the end of the tunnel; I promise.


The author's comments:

Depression is hard to fight but it's not impossible to overcome.