Francisco G | Teen Ink

Francisco G

By maygong SILVER, Wellesley, Massachusetts
maygong SILVER, Wellesley, Massachusetts

Every dream has a tomorrow, and every tomorrow has a dream.

Francisco G, a member of the maintenance staff of our school for more than 30 years, does major set-ups and deliveries for school events. His tasks take him all over campus; I see him driving his truck and playing music. If there’s going to be a large assembly in the gym, he’ll set up the chairs and stages; if the library is running out of printing paper, he’ll deliver a huge stack. Francisco does not have an office in the school, but every hallway and corner belong to him because he takes care of everything and keeps everything running smoothly.

Francisco’s job is not the one that the community always notices or celebrates, however we would be lost without the myriad tasks he completes. His regular day runs from 7 o’clock in the morning to 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Sometimes, his work is physically demanding, but he seems to enjoy every bit of it, saying that “I love the feeling of being able to do something for the place and people I love.” This is the reason that convinced Francisco to make his career here. When we speak, I see kindness and contentment in his eyes.

Francisco’s younger brother, Jose, works in our school, too, as the mailman, and everyone relies on him. As an international student who loves getting mail from home, I know first-hand how important he is to our community.

The two brothers “love, love, love music,” as Francisco told me. In their free time, the two brothers would go to the school’s music center, pick up a guitar or sit in front of the piano, and play their favorite music. They play pop, jazz, and of course mariachi, the traditional Mexican music. Jose is also a part of the school’s faculty and staff jug band. They gather, enjoy music, and create more joy for us with music.

Q: Where did you spend your childhood and when and how did you come to the U.S.?

A: I am from Mexico and I spent my entire childhood there. When I came to the United States, I was 23, and I went to California first. I stayed there for a year, and then moved up here to Massachusetts. The original motive was that my father was here, Jose, my brother, was here, so some of my family was here, and I was just curious to find out what it was like to live in different parts of such a huge country. Everywhere you go, life gives you ups and downs, you know, but this is life. I’ve been living here, in Massachusetts, ever since I moved – I came at the age of 23, and I’m 60 now. That’s how long I’ve been here. 

Q: What role does music play in your life?

A: My brother and I love, love, love music. I’ve been playing almost all my life. We use music as a way of relaxing and expressing ourselves. When I’m having a bad day, I just go play the guitar for a while, and then I'll be all set. Music is like a calming pill for me. I play guitar, bass, keyboard, and a couple of other instruments, but I'm still learning. Music is something that never ends. You keep going and keep going, but you never learn an instrument completely.

Q: What’s the most rewarding part of your job?

A: Sometimes when you are experiencing something challenging … you see the people here … the students … they are all very positive, and they treat you well. They respect you. They just make my day brighter. I mean, I always feel so good when a student comes to me and says “Hi, Francisco.” They call me by my name, and I’m like “oh, she knows my name.” It gives me a feeling of being a part of a huge family, a community. So I love working here – meeting friendly people, and driving around campus to see what they need – it makes me so happy, to be honest with you. I love the feeling of being able to do something for the place and people I love.