Dad | Teen Ink

Dad

By Asia_Monay GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Asia_Monay GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

I’m going to tell you about a very special person to me I also claim as a hero. My hero is my “Dad’’ he’s been special to me for as long as I could remember. I feel as though he’s my real dad because he took me in as his own because of my deceased biological father.

I always felt that father daughter bond with my step-father and he never treated me any different than my step-brother. It’s like he took on a big responsibility and I respect him for that because he didn’t have to. My biological father passed away when I was 1 ½ months old. I sometimes felt like a burden on him but I know he thought otherwise. I always called him dad because as far as I was concerned that was my “Dad’’ growing up and he didn’t mind it at all.

I remember the day he broke my heart for the first time in my life. I was 6 years old and I saw my dad being dragged away in hand-cuffs. For a 6 year old that’s a scary thing to see I didn’t know what to think. I remember writing him letters wondering when he would come back to me. Visiting time was the worst I was about 8 when I saw him I was afraid he didn’t look the same he had grew a lot of facial hair. At the end of the visit I cried because I wanted to stay with him.

Time went by and he got out of jail in 2011 I was 12 I was glad to see him. It was like a kid in the candy store I wouldn’t let him out of my sight for hours. I spent as much time as I could with him I until he went to work. Then it all hit me one morning I was on my way out the door to school I heard a loud knock on the door. I went to get it and standing at my door was the cops.

I stood there with a blank look on my face I heard one of them say “Is your mom home ‘’? I said “yes’’ I’ll go get her, I went to get her and they asked her if she knew a Douglas Moon. She responded “yes’’ the one cop said “Sorry for your lost” she started screaming and crying, I felt my heart sank to my knees. From that day on my life’s been horrible.

In my story I showed how my step-father was my hero and how I loved him so much. It’s still hard till this day because I miss him dearly. I would love to see him again someday.