The Hotel Hero | Teen Ink

The Hotel Hero

By Spencer Decuir BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
Spencer Decuir BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia

Paul Rusesabagina was a regular citizen, with a wife and three children who grew up on the hills of Rwanda, and earned his way to hotel manager of the Kigali Diplomat Hotel through hard work. When the genocide had begun after the president’s plane was shot down, Paul realized he had a chance to make a difference. He was forced to go to the Diplomat Hotel and give money to greedy militia soldiers. He offered Rwandan Francs in exchanged for his family’s safety, and soon after making the deal he was transferred as the new manager of the Hotel des Mille Collines. Many people came to the hotel seeking refuge from the militia. Even though Paul felt he was limited on space, he somehow found a way to protect and house 1,268 Tutsis and moderate Hutus (Hutus who didn’t approve of the killings) in the hotel until the UN struck a deal with the Rwandan Army to let the refugees escape behind the RPF lines in exchange for Hutu prisoners held by the RPF. Paul moved his family to a refugee camp where people were safe until the genocide ended. Later he decided to move his family to Belgium where he lives today. He is truly a person of remarkable character and a role model for all.

I had previously done a human rights project, and I learned about the Rwandan Genocide. While researching, I came across this man who to me became a legend in my mind throughout the project. His story inspired me to share it with others, like you. In addition, a friend of my mother happens to be going to Rwanda on a relief mission for 2 years because of the genocide, so I do have a connection to why this means something to me personally.