The Courageous Image | Teen Ink

The Courageous Image

By Trevor Bauman BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Trevor Bauman BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

A hero’s courage defines his image if he is the one who is the first responder or is the one that show up last just to catch the last of the action. A hero is someone who is big and husky like a fireman or a little petite person walking along the street like Rachel Joy Scott. There are the heroes who say they are the best and do it for the people, like Clark Kent; then there are those who are corrupt and that make themselves bigger than the real heroes. These heroes make an impact in the daily lives around them and make peoples’ lives better if they weren’t around. Rachel Joy Scott is one of those hero’s who changed the way people treated others and how to start a chain reaction.
The job of Rachel Scott was at first unseen and unannounced until a bright and sunny day on April 20th 1999, there were gunshots heard at the local high school of Columbine, Colorado. The first casualty of that fateful day was Rachel Joy Scott, but her dream of a place full of less bullying and anti-bullying campaigns is emerging. The scene of this seed beginning to grow is when her family and friends go through her bag and find her notebook, which has all her thoughts on how we should change the world and get rid of all of the bullying around us. Her impact was greater than what was going to be perceived, and her dream lives on through what we do every day. Her actions and her thoughts led to great anti-bullying. Her actions were mediocre and unknown but she eventually became known changed the course of social history. Another group of people that were heroes were the firefighters of 9/11

The firefighters of 9/11 were great people and showed that not everyone in this world is selfish. They were the first responders and they made sure that they saved everyone before they thought they should save themselves. The firefighters of 9/11 all earned the firefighters of the world more respect and they made sure that they could change everybody is safe. Their tasks were to make sure everyone was safe and stop the flames if possible. If they had not arrived, more people in the Twin Towers would have died. They made sure that they were the last out and stayed to help and comfort people who were in pain and those in suffering, who later died. A few went above and beyond to save more people and a few succeeded in that task and the survivors owe their lives to them and are grateful.

People can learn from these heroes’ accomplishments by studying them and helping them with everyday activities that they could use help on. People learn from them by taking time to learn about what they have done and what they did to change their community. People from around the world sometime take time out of their lives to see what they did and how that they could do the same as them or maybe do a little bit better. The communities that they lived in they can affect their economy or just the average day because there is nobody else who can do it the same as them. Many people can be affected by the way that the person works and then the people could learn how to do those things and work alongside them.

If we all lose sight of our real American heroes, we will never really know who or what a true hero is. Heroes today could be a firefighter or a father who just fixed a child’s prized toy. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, but no matter what changes in this world, most of the heroes will never be forgotten.