Mother: Cynthia P. | Teen Ink

Mother: Cynthia P. MAG

My hero has already gone through more than mostdo in a lifetime. She has shown bravery, compassion, patience andstrength in hard times. She is my mother.

My mother married atthe age of 23. Two years later, she was pregnant. Shortly after I wasborn, my father was rear-ended and left paralyzed. He was confined to awheelchair for the rest of his life, so my mom had to cater to him andhelp him with things we take for granted.

As if that weren'tenough for a young wife and mother, the doctor told them my dad hadcancer. My mom didn't know how she would deal with all of this. And fora man to know he had a daughter he wouldn't see grow up ...

Therewere many trips to the hospital for chemotherapy and radiation. Both myparents were tired, and my dad was getting worse. I was only four yearsold, but I remember my dad's hospital bed in the bedroom and the nursewho came every day. My mom was so brave; she tried to do the best shecould to support my dad and be a good mother. Imagine having to help agrown man with easy things like washing up or getting into a car, whilecaring for a young child. I don't think anyone could have beenstronger.

After a short stay at the hospital, my dad died.The hospital called and said, "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but your husbandhas passed away." It was probably the hardest thing she will everhear.

It's hard to believe, but at the age of 29 my mom waswidowed. With the help of family and friends, she found the courage tostart her life again. She is a great mother who has accomplished so muchand deserves more than I can imagine. I have learned more from her thanfrom anyone. I don't know how she did it, but I admire her with my heartand soul. I am so glad she is my mother and hero.