World War 1 | Teen Ink

World War 1

December 5, 2012
By Anonymous

World war one was the worst thing that ever happened to me, I remember being stuck in the trenches watching my friends and peers die in front of me. It was the worst feeling and I would just think to myself how the families of these soldiers and what they was going through, thinking like this made me feel really empathetic for the families of the soldiers that have been murdered. Months went by and I haven’t received one letter, I was worried, as much as I knew my family could have been killed or deported by train. Every night I would write down my thoughts, even now I have flashbacks of all mutated bodies, all this happened because politicians declared war.

Chapter 1 of my journal

Me and a few of my friends went out dancing with a few girls when I saw a poster saying they need people like me in the war and I thought this might be a great opportunity to show off my strength and courage.

Chapter 2 of my journal

It’s been 6 months that I have been stuck down in this bloody place and I hate it here I wish that I could go home but I can’t. We have lost so many men that I can’t even count how many died, some of them have helped me through this 6 months that I have been in this hell hole. The only thing that gets me through the day is thinking that I am saving my families and many over family’s life so I guess that is the end of this chapter I hope to write again.

Chapter 3 of my journal

It’s now been 1 year here in this place and I am starting to give up hope. I am the last person who is alive who was in my battalion and I am badly injured but I still have to carry on so I joined a new battalion as a fresh man that want to lay down their own life for their country. They don’t realise that they are going into hell and only a few of them would return so I had to show them the way. We are making our way to the jungle god I hope we don’t die in here. I am going to have to go until next time good bye.







Chapter 4 of my journal

We have been ambushed only me and two men are alive I don’t know what to say so I am going to say this; I loved my life I had a great family and great friends so if I don’t survive, tell all of them I love them and that I thought of them during the whole war and see you in heaven.

Chapter 5 of my journal

I nearly died just in time the next fleet came in and saved me from the devils minions, they took me back to base and I got sent home by boat. However, when I got home I have the whole town cheering saying well done. I was so happy that I was home.

Chapter 6 of my journal

29 years later the town doesn’t want to hear my story and they thought I was a crazy old man. They waited till I died, but now I am proving them wrong and as I lay here in my chair waiting to die I write my last chapter. If someone reads this when I have died remember the people who died in the war for you people to live, goodbye world I’m saying this for you the last time, there is no one that can save me now so I’m going to say I love my country and I’ll see the people who died for our country in heaven where we will laugh at the Germans.


The author's comments:
My great grandad went to the war. I wanted to share this story with others so they understand what qualities one needs in order to help one's country to win a war.