Inside Out | Teen Ink

Inside Out

June 5, 2008
By Anonymous

“Bailee, Labri died.” My cousin told me, sorrow in her voice. The news hit me with a wave of nausea. It felt like my insides were being ripped apart. I was slowly, painfully being turned inside out. “Are you ok?” She asked. I didn’t answer, I couldn’t speak. I nodded. Why did I nod? She can’t see me. I mumbled goodbye hung up the phone, and went to my room. I fell asleep to the slow, steady beat of my heart, outside my chest.
I met Labri two years ago at a summer bible camp in Washington. I was twelve and she was eleven. We became instant friends. We were inseparable for most of the days there, except when we had to go back to our cabins for bed. The week went by too fast and we soon said our goodbyes, we promised we would see each other again the next summer.
That coming May, at the age of twelve, she was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. Even though it was terminal she never felt sorry, even though she had so much to be sad about. That’s what I loved about Labri, her joy for life was infectious.
Labri passed away in October of 2007 surrounded by her family. I will always miss her. She came into my life for a brief moment and changed me view of it completely. She taught me to put my faith in God, and greet each day with a smile. She truly was an angel, she is my hero.