That's My Brother | Teen Ink

That's My Brother

There is always going to be that one person in your life who you can always look up to, and you know that person will always have your back. That person will always be there to help you through the bad times, and to enjoy the good with you also. You know that person will love you no matter what. This person, for me, is my brother, Nick. He is my hero, and he’s always there for me no matter what I’m doing. He means so much to me and I love him to death. Nick is generous, kind hearted, selfless, and the most amazing brother anyone could possibly wish for.

Support by loved ones is crucial in life. It’s what helps you keep going when you’re most scared or nervous. In sixth grade I tried out for the Kickline team. My older sister was on the team I wanted to be on it so bad, but I was unsure if I was going to make it. My whole family kept telling me I wasn’t good enough. I figured they said that so I wouldn’t get my hopes up. I was thinking about not even bothering to go to tryouts because I was so discouraged by my family’s negativity. But, my brother was the only one that told me I could do it. He came to my tryouts to cheer me on as I preformed. I was so honored when he walked into that gym, and I was so proud to say “That’s my brother”. If it weren’t for him I would have never tried out. If I would have never tried out I would have never ended up being captain of the team that I was told I was never going to make. Kickline has been the most amazing and unforgettable experience of my three years in middle school. If it weren’t for Nick, I would never know what it feels like to be a part of this amazing family of girls that are my teammates, and my sisters.

Have you ever felt like everything you do is wrong, and there’s nothing you can do to make anything any better? I have. But, Nick was right there to help me out. I was fighting with my friends and my parents. I was constantly being yelled at in whatever I did. I was working really hard to help people in dance, and I had no idea what to do because I was feeling so stressed out. I felt like everything was going downhill. I was trying to make everyone happy, but I didn’t realize it until it was too late that, in trying so hard, it only hurt me more than help other people. My brother was there to help and gave me some very useful advice. This advice has helped me deal with problems ever since he has told me. I didn’t know what it meant at the time, but when many things in my life start to pile up its easy to notice how it will come in handy. He said, “Don’t try and satisfy everyone, help yourself first, and in turn, that will make everyone else happier. After you’ve done that, then just take things slowly. One thing at a time.” I did exactly what he said to do and it has helped me so much since, and ever since then I could trust him with anything.

Trust is a very important quality in a relationship. I trust my brother so much. Not only with little secrets, like when I broke my moms favorite vase. He didn’t tell my mom and, he even took the blame for it even when I didn’t ask for him too. I also trust him with the big things, because I know he has my back, I know I can always trust him with anything. Last year my family went camping, my brother and I decided to go hiking during the trip. When we reached the half way mark on the mountain I slipped and fell down hard. As I tried to stop myself from tumbling down the hill, my hand got caught in between two very large, sharp rocks. The rocks tore off most of the skin from my hand. I couldn’t move it. When my brother got to me he was shocked, he carried me back to our campsite, but everyone else had gone fishing. As I sat on the ground hysterical crying he took care of my hand. He cleaned it out and bandaged it. This meant so much to me, it showed me that he is always there for me and he will always be there to help me and calm me down.

My brother is such an important part of my life. I respect him very much, and I love getting advice from him. He has a very large impact on most of my decisions and my life. I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have him. I am so honored to say that he’s my brother, and the most amazing one at that! And as I see him off to college, watching him make his own decisions, I am going to look up to him and hope for the best for him. I will always remember the amusing times we spent together and all the things he has taught me. I love you so much Nick you’re going to do amazing in college.

OldAce said...
OldAce, Washougal, Washington

Your work isn't limited by the tools you have, but by your imagination

I like this story very much. It shows how people care for others. You don't have to look very far to find who actually cares about you. It is very well written too. I wish everyone was more caring and kind to others around them, whether it's at school or at home.

I wish I had a brother like Nick...

Mary said...
Amazing story! Loved it so much! And I think, it is written very well, interesting, and what is more important - sincerely.

I wish I had such a brother...