My Light | Teen Ink

My Light

By shellyhelner BRONZE, Northville, Michigan
shellyhelner BRONZE, Northville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"I love you"
-Anonymous

“Who did you sit with at lunch today?” I asked him.

“Nobody.” He responded starring down at his worn shoes.

“Why?” I questioned, almost immediately after the words left his chapped lips.

“No one will sit with me, but I like to be by myself, I can think easily.”

“Oh.” I whisper as tears well up in my eyes.

Adam H. is very tall for his age, with course brown hair, green-brown eyes, and a bright smile painted on his face. He always says “I’m not into fashion, I’m not into fashion!” whenever I scold his clothing choices. Most days you will see him wearing a worn tee-shirt of a vacation spot my family has traveled to, and athletic sweat pants or faded jeans. His voice is warm and sweet, some quality makes it almost impossible to ignore. I can not tell you how much I love that kid.

Everyone can remember the person in their grade that was made fun of daily. Most people even enjoy joining in on the teasing ritual. Normally it is Adam who is directly or indirectly being hurt without his even knowing it, or knowing all too well that there is something wrong. He does have something wrong with him, but I would never say that is wrong or his fault. The dictionary might say that it is ‘a pervasive developmental disorder of children characterized by impaired communication, excessive rigidity and emotional detachment’, but when you live with someone who suffers and shines with autism it is a very different concept. Adam has autism, but most days I don’t even think about that. I only think of how lucky and how much I have changed by having Adam as a brother.

I watch my peers every day, and I have changed. As if I see things through a different lens than those around me. To say that Adam has changed my life is an understatement. Adam has done so much more for me, my parents, and anyone who comes in acquaintance with him. He has taught us unconditional love and a never ending patient for others through his hardships.

I have experienced at lot in my life through Adam, some days I wonder how I am able to continue. A little light warms my soul to travel on through the dark. Adam is that light for me. He is special in many more ways than one. He gives me ideas to grow off of and to build onto. Adam is my brother, my hero in life, and I love him very much.

My younger brother inspired this completely, I love him very much and I am very proud of this piece.

alex_kiteflyer BRONZE, Darwin, Other

"You can either be a cop or a criminal, but when you're facing a loaded gun what's the difference?"

idk wat 2 say. i feel sorry for ur bro. autistic ppl shd never be laughed at. tat's so mean

RecreateAnimation BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

“Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.”

A bit short?

freetospeak said...
freetospeak, Kent, Washington

this is beautiful,

i totally understand because i have an autistic brother. good job :)

silentcries BRONZE, Lakeland, Minnesota

Missing someone gets easier every day because even though it's one day further from the last time you saw each other, it's one day closer to the next time you will.

Very beautiful! Very!

asofnow GOLD said...
asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan

Nothing gold can stay ~ Robert Frost

I like this piece but it was too short. It felt lacking in some way.

Kipitama said...
Kipitama, Council Bluffs, Iowa

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." (Bartoletti, Campbell)

I know what the kid feels like...Great job :)

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

This was really amazing. :) Makes me want to hug my brother. Keep up the good work and keep your head high :)

pinkowl BRONZE said...
pinkowl BRONZE, Tyrone, Pennsylvania

Jeremiah 29:11

wow. this was so touching. this gave me the chills. keep your head up! i love this article! i am inspired by how much you love your brother and the courage you had to write this!

Spazzmine BRONZE, Foley, Alabama

"Some of the greater things in life are unseen thats why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream... "Anonymous.

This was a beautiful piece of work.Very inspiring :)

Charming said...
I belive that a kid with Autism should be treated like theres nothung wrong with them.

jokerdf said...
whos michalle

Jen K. said...
Anyone can write what they think others want to read.  I have watched Michelle's natural attentiveness to her brother and I am humbled by it each time.  She simply writes what "is" in her world but makes it real for all of us.  Thank you Michelle.

TwoFace17 GOLD said...
TwoFace17 GOLD, Sioux City, Iowa
Great article. I know how it feels to be made fun of because of having autism.

HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

awww that made my heart smile:)))))))))))))

Nancy 123 said...
Wow!  This really touches my heart.  I too have a handicap sister and know the hardships and great job that come with living and growing up with such a special person.  Thank you!

maccole1 said...
Spelling and grammar above, wrong.  This is the true family life of these wonderful folks!

maccole1 said...
Such a tue, loving sister and family!  One of a kind family surrounded by loving family! WOW!

1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"I love you"
-Anonymous

Thank you guys soo much for all of the comments and ratings!! I am so happy with this paper!

Kathryn said...
Great job Michelle!

Grandma said...
Michelle, you are a role model for teens.  Your essay shows love for Adam and people with special needs.