My Light | Teen Ink

My Light

By shellyhelner BRONZE, Northville, Michigan
shellyhelner BRONZE, Northville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"I love you"
-Anonymous

“Who did you sit with at lunch today?” I asked him.

“Nobody.” He responded starring down at his worn shoes.

“Why?” I questioned, almost immediately after the words left his chapped lips.

“No one will sit with me, but I like to be by myself, I can think easily.”

“Oh.” I whisper as tears well up in my eyes.

Adam H. is very tall for his age, with course brown hair, green-brown eyes, and a bright smile painted on his face. He always says “I’m not into fashion, I’m not into fashion!” whenever I scold his clothing choices. Most days you will see him wearing a worn tee-shirt of a vacation spot my family has traveled to, and athletic sweat pants or faded jeans. His voice is warm and sweet, some quality makes it almost impossible to ignore. I can not tell you how much I love that kid.

Everyone can remember the person in their grade that was made fun of daily. Most people even enjoy joining in on the teasing ritual. Normally it is Adam who is directly or indirectly being hurt without his even knowing it, or knowing all too well that there is something wrong. He does have something wrong with him, but I would never say that is wrong or his fault. The dictionary might say that it is ‘a pervasive developmental disorder of children characterized by impaired communication, excessive rigidity and emotional detachment’, but when you live with someone who suffers and shines with autism it is a very different concept. Adam has autism, but most days I don’t even think about that. I only think of how lucky and how much I have changed by having Adam as a brother.

I watch my peers every day, and I have changed. As if I see things through a different lens than those around me. To say that Adam has changed my life is an understatement. Adam has done so much more for me, my parents, and anyone who comes in acquaintance with him. He has taught us unconditional love and a never ending patient for others through his hardships.

I have experienced at lot in my life through Adam, some days I wonder how I am able to continue. A little light warms my soul to travel on through the dark. Adam is that light for me. He is special in many more ways than one. He gives me ideas to grow off of and to build onto. Adam is my brother, my hero in life, and I love him very much.

My younger brother inspired this completely, I love him very much and I am very proud of this piece.

yourtrash123 said...
yourtrash123, Waubun, Minnesota
get of this web site

yourtrash123 said...
yourtrash123, Waubun, Minnesota
you suck!!!!!!!!!

ashlilreed said...
ashlilreed, Bristow, Virginia
This is so well written. I used to get so mad when kids at my old school would make fun of kids with disabilities. Little do they know that a lot of us have family members who are disabled. If people would just take the time out to get to know these individuals they would see how much they can have a positive impact on their life. Just take one time out your day and say hi and smile at them.

Thefanatasticagirlie101 SILVER, Euless, Texas

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our mind. That's what I hope to give you forever." ~The Notebook

I was on the verge of tears when I read this article. It is so inspirational towards others. I have a brother who has a speech impairment, so he can't express himself, so this relates to him in a way. Awesome Job! I'm going to love this article!

meganc33 said...
meganc33, Wdm, Iowa
This was a very sweet story. It's really sad when people make fun of people for having a disabilty like autism.

sweetangel4life GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Romeo and Juliet ( Quote Act II, Sc. II).

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

i have an autistic cousin too

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

i really enjoyed reading this! its sweet. my brother alost died when he was hit by a car on his secvond day of kindergarten, but now he's a fourth grader who is overly popular.  keep writing :)

CammyS SILVER said...
CammyS SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.
H. G. Wells
Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.
Mark Twain

That's really sweet. I feel the exact same way about my little brother, who I love to death. 

Shen4 GOLD said...
Shen4 GOLD, Quezon City, NCR, Other

The only difference between stupidity and genius; genius has its limits

i like the way you discribed you younger(?) brother as a light. that's how i saw mine ... until ... he died ...

BilbroSwaggins SILVER, Blountstown, Florida

"Only the rocks live forever, so it matters not how long we live, but how we live." -Native American Proverb

Great piece!!!

Lizzy31 SILVER said...
Lizzy31 SILVER, Lkow, Other

Everything that is beautiful is not always good but everything that is good is always beautiful

i love this article . it made me emotional. your brother is very lucky to have you as a sister. so are you to have him as a brother .there so many autistic children out there and almost none of them have someone to care the way you care and love your brother. i feel sorry for those people who don't know how love and care  and who are so stupid  to  have fun at the cost of others.

WindDancer GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky

"It's time to start living the life you've imagined"
- Henry James

"I read to escape, I write to confront."

This is beautiful. It was really moving to hear his story through your eyes. I'm glad he has you for a sister. Very well written. Thank you for sharing.

i love this artical very much i was in tears it has so much love i admire how you feel for him and what he goes through i would wish very much for a loving caring brother like you your an amazing brother your a roll model a hero and an amazing wroter keep it going

GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Lovely.  It is such a shame people are mean to such beautiful people.  This was so well written. Thank you for it.

Autism is a deep concept and the people who make fun of those with autism don't understand it's complexity. I believe that autistic people are capable of loving so much more deeply and affectionately, yet they are looked down upon in many societies, which is completely wrong. I have a special kind of love for these people and I can tell that you do as well. This brought tears to my eyes as I read it. Excellent work. 

PaintandBooks97 SILVER, Fanwood, New Jersey

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
-Plato

This is beautiful. You can really tell what your brother goes through, and what it's like to be autistic. Great writing!

M-star BRONZE said...
M-star BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan

"Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you."- Richard Brinsley Sheridan

This is one great article! I know some people with autism too and they're always so nice to me and your article reminds me of them!:)

DemonAngel GOLD, Maricopa, Arizona

You are either dead or alive.Your heart either pumps blood or life.Our hearts pump words love life and understanding.Into our sub-conscience body for we use the hands of that body to write. -Best friend :'( RIP

I really love this article!!My cousin is autistic and ive seen him go through alot but i love how optimistic you are about it but i agree its a bit short but its also short sweet and to the point

VandalSpirit DIAMOND, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of Gods great love, we are not consumed. His compassion never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

I really like how this wasnt simply an educational/informational argument and instead you ended it simply with the fact that you really love him even though a lot of the world sees him as one with many "faults".

ignorance_is_bliss PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee

"This is what it is, this is who I am
This is where I finally take my stand
I didn't wanna fall but I about to crawl
I met the one with two scarred hands"

-Newsboys, Born Again

Every time i hear something about autstic ppl, i hear they're the sweetest ppl in the world, and this article really made me believe tht :)