Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

May 3, 2019
By writer5137 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
writer5137 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran:


I truly can't imagine the amount of bravery and courage that you hold in your heart. What you did for our country can never be repaid, not by a “thank you”-- two simple words that encompass my full appreciation for you and your fellow veterans. A million times over, thank you, and welcome home.

My name is Victoria K., I am a senior in high school. I have always asked myself, ‘what makes a person a hero?’ After watching the Honor Flight film, I quickly realized that a hero is someone with bravery, courage, valor, determination and passion. The person that I just described is the way that many of us see you.

You served overseas for our country, yet you continue to serve while you are home. This paves opportunity for many generations to come. Your experience allows for me to feel safe walking the streets, and to feel safe in our country. When I say ‘thank you’, I mean thank you for your bravery, your courage, your perseverance, your strength and sacrifice. When I say thank you, I mean thank you for stepping forward while others step back, to allow me to live the life that I only ever dreamed of.

My heart throbs for you and your fellow veterans, I wish you could've had the homecoming that true heros deserve. I am now 18 years old, and I am starting to walk a new path in my life; because of your bravery and sacrifice, I no longer feel scared. I no longer worry about what the future has to bring. Because of courageous men like you, I will allow myself to take the next big steps in my life with pride; I hope to one day have a fraction of the bravery that you demonstrate each and every day.

Thank you, and welcome home.