Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By danielle181818 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
danielle181818 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

Let me first start off by saying thank you. Thank you for being selfless as you made the decision to serve for our country. Thank you for putting other people’s safety and quality of life before your own. You are truly incredible and I can’t express how thankful I am for you and your service.

My name is Danielle and I am a senior in high school. I watched the Honor Flight movie and was delighted to be able to show my gratitude to you through this letter. When I was in eighth grade, we took a field trip to Washington D.C. and I got to experience all of the sights you were able to see. My personal favorites were The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The emotion that overtook my body was something I had never felt before. I can’t imagine how seeing those memorials must have made you feel. I hope the memorials were able to show you how appreciated, respected, and appreciated you are.

As you made the decision to leave the life you had been so used to living, you made a sacrifice for not only yourself, but your country. Because of you, people could live in a world where they were sheltered from the work you were doing. However, the work you did has certainly not gone unnoticed. It not only shows your character, but your dedication and love you have to our country. You were involved in making this beautiful, safe, and loving country. Because of you, you have made living in the United States a place where people can live freely and safely.

I think I need to thank you again. You have allowed me, and all of the other children, to grow up in a safe world and we owe our happiness to you. What you have done with your life will never be forgotten. You are the definition of a selfless person who puts the needs of others before their own. Thank you.

If you are comfortable sharing some information about yourself and your service, I would love to learn more about you. I’d like to hear the real stories and experiences you encountered.

You are remembered and thought about every day. God bless you.

Sincerely,

Danielle 

I wrote this to a veteran going on an upcoming honor flight.