Educator of The Year | Teen Ink

Educator of The Year

By Ethan--Johnson GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Ethan--Johnson GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

It was freshman year at Arrowhead High School and it was the last day of soccer tryouts. Playing soccer for only one year prior, I was nervous I might get cut since I am not the greatest player. Then Coach Staus walked over and said there would be two freshman soccer teams. 

The soccer program that is run at Arrowhead is something this school should be proud of. We always have successful years across all grade levels, and people come out of the program as men. We are more respectable, honest, kind, and fair when we leave the program.

We are taught to work on character and learn how to grow as men, and how to act and be respectful, while also playing soccer. This has shaped my life, and has made me work hard to achieve the things I want. I always push for more and give it my all, since you have to if you really want it.

I used what I learned from soccer in my life. I worked hard in the offseason and during the season to try and make the varsity team. This made me try to work as hard as I can, since I know nothing comes easy, and you have to work for it. I also learned to develop my character through this program. I learned to grow as a man and find out who I want to be.

I had him as a teacher in a newly formed class, and I'm glad I took it. This class, Coaching and Officiating, was the best class I have taken while at Arrowhead. Coach Staus made the class fun by creating an environment where we could learn and grow. He told us personal stories about his family, and his life, which made me respect him more and made him relatable. He made sure everyone had the help they needed to succeed which shows what kind of person he is. He is by far one of the most fair people, coaches and teachers I know.

For what you have done Coach Staus, I want to say thank you. Thank you for being an awesome teacher, and for making me interested in officiating sports. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to play soccer at such a competitive school. I have grown so much, and created  lifelong memories with lifelong friends through your program. Without it, I don’t know what kind of person I would be today. Without Coach Staus coming over and saving me from disappointment of being cut, I honestly believe that I wouldn't be the person I am today, and have the friends i do, so for that, i m forever grateful.

Thank you for making a difference in my life, and thank you for helping me turn into the person I am today, because I am proud of that man, and I owe you a thank you for that.