Abstinence, Does it really work in this day and age? | Teen Ink

Abstinence, Does it really work in this day and age?

By Lady.J.xoxo GOLD, Winston Salem, North Carolina
Lady.J.xoxo GOLD, Winston Salem, North Carolina

"live your life, don't let life out live you"

(Abstinence means Abstinence is a voluntary restraint from indulging in bodily activities that are widely experienced as giving pleasure. In this article I’m talking about sexual abstinence. )

As children and teens, at church and at home we are taught about abstinence. As children we listened and we learned about but now as teens in this day and age its way harder to stay true to it. Even if you go to church every day, Teens today are faced with more pressure to have sex.
“In 2006–2008, some 11% of never-married females aged 15–19 and 14% of never-married males that age had had sex before age 15.” Maybe the numbers don’t seem big to people but it really is a lot.
It’s not about bad parenting; it’s not about not being taught about abstinence. It’s about the pressure that teens put on other teens and sometimes that’s the greatest pressure to them at the time it’s called peer pressure. So sometimes being abstinent doesn’t come first to mind for them. Abstinence is a good thing to teach, but only a hand full of teens can stay strong and stay true to their commitment. So basically it all comes down to the pressures teens face and it decides whether abstinence will work for them.
But if a teen does choose to have sex, in my opinion I say don’t make it seem like it’s the end of the world teach them about safe sex. And if a teen really does want to change how the continue on after they have sex, theirs always being reborn again, or just saying no the next time. But I will say staying abstinent is a hard thing to do.

( you can keep saying no to sex but it only takes one time to say yes. But you can move on from it and learn it. You can always choose to say no the next time because it will reoccur.)

I wrote this piece every teen is faced with this problem including me.

xxxoyumi said...
this is so true. i loved how the aurthor used personal experiance in her work.