Golf | Teen Ink

Golf

By ehanusa BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ehanusa BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

“Mom, I don't want to go!” I said.

As a freshman, I was about to go to my first golf practice for Arrowhead High School. My mom made me get into the car because we were going to be late. On the way there I looked out the window as the trees passed by, dreading the moment of getting there. When we got there, I slumped out of the car, grabbed my new golf clubs that I had never used before, and slowly walked over to the driving range. I hate this already, I thought. When I got over to the driving range everyone was talking to each other and I had no one to talk to until I heard someone say something to me. 

“Hey, what’s your name? Mine is Kira and hers is Mikayla!” said Kira.

I responded saying “Hey, my name is Ella!” 

We continued to talk and now I had friends to help me get through this first year. We started hitting balls and I was trying my best but was not doing so well. Then my coach came over and helped me. This isn't so bad, I thought.

An hour went by and practice was over. I got picked up by my mom and was telling her about the people I met and how I think this year will be good….

I am now a junior, almost a senior and I have done golf each year since freshman year. I work hard at each practice. I have to get better while having fun with my friends at the same time. I finally broke my record and got my lowest score of 45 this year. The only way I have gotten this far is because my parents made me join the golf team and it led me to make many friends and learn how to work hard for my goals. They made me learn a new sport that is now my favorite sport that I enjoy doing. This has led me to accomplish many things such as placing 1st at a meet and getting the lowest score I have ever gotten. I would have never imagined myself at this position but I am grateful to my parents for making me go to the first practice where I found something I love to do.