Teen Mother: Vet L. | Teen Ink

Teen Mother: Vet L. MAG

Vet L. has been my friend all through school, and is one of the strongest people I know. She has given me great support, and I love her for being there when I need her. I feel it is important to share her story.

Vet, what was life like for you as a child?

Life was fun. I was always very loved, even without my father around. I was somewhat of a troublemaker, but I have a lot of good memories to show for it. Being a child was the best time of my life.

How have your childhood years affected who you are today?

I was raised by very strong, supportive people. My mother and sisters have a lot to do with who I am. I also learned many lessons, good and bad, growing up which have made me a strong adult. They have helped me realize what I need to do to be happy.

My mother has always been the best person in my life. She has never let me down, and has always been very supportive. Whenever I needed a friend, she was one. My sisters have also been there for me. When my mom was getting her college degree, she would be out late, and my sisters stepped in and played mom. They are my best friends and give me great advice.

What life lessons have you learned?

Take every moment for what it is, never take anything for granted. Make sure you let everyone know how much you love them, and accept them for who they are.

What have been some of your biggest trials, and how have you overcome them?

The biggest trial in my life was when I got pregnant sophomore year. It was a new road to travel. I didn't have to get over it, I had to accept it and learn to adapt.

Another trial would be trying to get over the love of my life, my baby's father. We were engaged, but things went the other way. I had to learn to love myself more than I loved a man.

Who helped you during your pregnancy?

My mom and sisters were everything I needed them to be - a mother, sister, boyfriend, best friend and father. All my friends were there for me, I could cry to them whenever I needed to. I'm especially thankful for my mom. It was hard for her to deal with two pregnant children at the same time. The dad and his family were also there, which was a blessing.

When a bad situation comes up, what do you do?

I try to find the best way to deal with it. I am often faced with issues in my school about my race. It is not easy to keep your temper, but you have to try to understand why people are upset and angry. I try to find a way out without hurting anyone, or myself.

How has being so small and pregnant affected your body?

It has worn me out. My body is stretched in places I never knew I had. My hips are huge, I won't be a model again anytime soon. Being pregnant so young has emotionally drained me. I have so many things to worry about now, and my emotions are like a roller coaster. One minute I am happy, and the next depressed. I never spend time on my appearance, I'm always focusing on my baby.

What do you do to deal with stress and depression?

I eat a cucumber and go to bed. I figure it's a healthy alternative to chocolate.

Were the characteristics of the baby's dad the ones of your dream man?

Not by a long shot. But then again, is there really a dream man out there, or is it a childhood legend? He is a beautiful man, and I would marry him if things were different. He took care of me when I was pregnant. He loves me and his baby with all his heart, but it wasn't enough for me to sacrifice what I needed from him, or any guy that I want to spend my life with.

Do you ever feel that having a baby has stopped you from your goals or dreams?

I always wanted to be a cheerleader, and that won't happen. I also miss out on a lot of freedom. No one makes me come home on time, and I probably wouldn't normally, but I now have a responsibility to my baby.

What is your favorite part of having a daughter?

It is so hard to narrow it down to one thing. I love the way she looks at me and admires me. She lets me feel so much love. She is innocent and pure, even though she can be a handful. The best part of being with her is watching her go through every stage knowing there is somebody who loves her.

What are your plans for the future?

I am going to be a lawyer. Down the road, I hope to move out of Utah.

What are some of your future goals and dreams?

I want to start small. First and foremost, I am looking forward to graduating from high school. I eventually want to get married. Having a father figure in my baby's life is important to me because I missed out on that.

I want to start modeling again, and I hope to keep up with my dancing and singing. It is also important to keep family traditions for me and my baby.

What is your favorite quote?

"What happens in the dark will come out in the light. "There is nothing that you can try to hide without it coming out sometime. It is important not to hide anything from yourself or anybody else.

What advice would you give teens?

Take things slow, and be a kid as long as you possibly can. Don't expect everything to be perfect, and make decisions for yourself. Live life to the fullest. Love yourself first, and everything else will fall into place.

HOPEfully SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina

My Cinderella. She is real. She exists. I pray for her constantly. May God satisfy the desires of her heart, draw her close, consume her. May He claim her passions, her identity, her refuge, her hopes, her strengths and weaknesses -Adam Young

Great questions and answers. you didn't focus to much on the bad, you brought ot the positive. you should be a reporter

check my stories