Rethinking Fashion: Why you should thrift. | Teen Ink

Rethinking Fashion: Why you should thrift.

By WriterGK14 BRONZE, Essex Jct, Vermont
WriterGK14 BRONZE, Essex Jct, Vermont

While the idea of wearing pre-owned clothes may raise eyebrows, thrifting is a strong act of eco-consciousness. It’s not just about the clothes, it’s about the statement you make and the impact you have on the planet.

Spending less money:
Thrifting is a win-win for your wallet and the Earth. Many thrifters can save an average of $150 monthly, adding up to a substantial $1,760 yearly, according to CouponFollow. Also, thrifted items often come at a staggering 50% off the original price, as noted by Hennepin Choose to Reuse.

Helps to Save Natural Resources:
When a product is created many resources like energy and natural resources are used to make the product. A natural resource is something like water, fossil fuels, minerals, or plants. Did you know that about 2,700 liters of water are used to make one t-shirt? That is how much a person might drink in two and a half years (Decathlon Sustainability). Buying second-hand items saves natural resources from having to be used again to make a new one. So generally speaking, thrifting will save things like water for our future.

It Keeps Things From Going to the Landfill:
Did you know that “In total, up to 85% of textiles go into landfills each year. That's enough to fill the Sydney harbor annually” (Business Insider). Clothes can take years to decompose and put harmful chemicals into the earth. The more clothes that are trashed the more chemicals going into the environment. This overall hurts the environment. So instead of trashing old clothes bring them to Goodwill or other thrift stores to give them new life. 

Cool Finds:
Going to a thrift store or a place like that can help you find things you would have never found at a regular store. You could find antiques, clothes you wanted to try but didn’t want to pay the full price and end up not liking it, or something from your favorite brand. Even if there's nothing that you are looking for and you just go to walk around you could find something you love.

To sum it all up, thrifting has many more benefits for the earth than buying something new does. So, next time you consider a wardrobe update, remember: that thrifting isn’t just about saving money; it’s about making a statement, discovering the unique, and taking a stand for the planet.

I am an 8th grader living in Vermont. I wrote this piece because I love nature/the environment and I love thrifting.